News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

HT4100 and other promo dealer videos from the 80's.

Started by TJ Hopland, February 21, 2013, 12:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

No oil-fired Cimarrons- as adreneline churning as that may have been.  ::)  However there was a V-6 diesel option in the downsized FWD Cadillacs of 1985. I saw one in my life- a 1985 Fleetwood.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I have seen a few 85 Fleetwoods with the diesel but it was for sure a lot more common in Oldsmobiles.  Also helped that the others had the option for 82-85.  I think the most I have seen were in Buick Century.  The transverse 4.3 V6 actually addressed several of the weak points of the 5.7.  One major improvement was they changed the head and head bolt design.   It would have been very interesting to see where it would have gone if the did not pull the plug on the whole program.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 24, 2013, 11:36:09 AM
Wonder why there was not a diesel Cimarron? You would think that would have been the ultimate fuel economy option.  I suppose the J and X bodies were what the 60* V6 was designed for and the 4.3 diesel was a 90*.  You would think they could have done an Isuzu engine like the Chevette or S-10's.    Maybe it would have got the V5 diesel if it had gone into production.

Had the diesel market not started to decline in 1982, they probably would've eventually developed or outsourced a diesel engine for it as well as the other J-Cars.

I enjoyed watching the first 1983 Oldsmobile Diesel Promo video.  The guy came across almost genuinely angered by the unreasonable claims/concerns regarding Olds Diesels, and some salespeople's reluctance to sell them.

Now get out there and sell those diesels!!!  ;D

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: ericdev on February 24, 2013, 12:34:20 PM
No oil-fired Cimarrons- as adreneline churning as that may have been.  ::)  However there was a V-6 diesel option in the downsized FWD Cadillacs of 1985. I saw one in my life- a 1985 Fleetwood.

By 1985 new GM diesels were pretty rare.  You'd had to have been a real diesel fan to take a chance on one by then even if only due to the almost certain significant resale value impact.