News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Car covers

Started by jst, February 23, 2013, 09:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jst

Does anyone know of a high quality outfit that could custom make a car cover ( weatherproof with a soft liner ) for a 1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE with a continental kit, 2 outside mirrors and an antenna ?  Thanks
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

Richardonly

Try looking at California Car Cover Co.

calcarcover.com.

I have seen their cover on a 1950 Buick and it was beautiful with the name "Buick" on the front of the cover. They can even be locked in place.  Tie downs and bags available.

To me, they are on the high side, BUT, you are trying to protect your investment.  And they seem to be one of the best around and many custom made.

Good luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Jeff Wilk

Be VERY VERY VERY careful with a waterproof cover if you are using it outside!!!!!  I ruined the paint job on the hood and trunk lid of my all original california born 75 Eldo with a WATERPROOF cover by leaving it outside.  While rain does not go through.....condensation does form underneath.....THEN when the sun comes out and beats down on the cover that DOES NOT breath since it is waterPROOF.....the paint actually gets boiled and burned!!!!!   Trust me on this one......it was not a good day.....

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Series75

the best cover material from Calif Car Cover is the Superweave.  As they say on thier advertisement.   "Material: This custom cover is made from our Superweave fabric. This is our top of the line outdoor material and is 99% water resistant. This material is almost like an umbrella and performs just as well. It also features excellent UV resistance and dust protection. This cover material is breathable and is the only cover we recommend for use in snow conditions, as it will not freeze to your paint."

This stuff is amazing, it keeps you car dry, it dries like an umbrella...very quickly, folds up to the size of a basketball.   You get 2-3 years out of it outdoors.   After that the sun does a job on it.   Tom CLC#6866

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Joe,

I second the motion on California Car Cover. That's where I got mine. They will add extra material for the Sunvisor and the Continental kit. They will ask you for some measurements. For the antenna, they give you a grommet to snap in place once you locate where the antenna will protrude through. Just make a small hole and snap on the grommet. I can't help you with the weatherproof question. Mine is an indoor cover just to keep the dust off when stored in the garage over winter. Has a nice soft inner liner. No scratches on the paint.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

jst

Thanks everyone
Looks like California Car Cover is the one.
Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

Tito Sobrinho

Since my car is always garaged, I bought the flannel one by this manufacturer and paid almost $300, I specified without the elastic on its borders that to me is a drag. I received it with the elastic. Sent it back and got one without it...heavy, voluminous and difficult to put inside the bag provided. In order to accommodate the cover over the car, one needs the help of another person. Seeing my friend with his MOPAR garaged collection, I found that the covers used were acquired from WalMart. Well, I bought one #5 for $20 and with with wife's help, we removed the elastic around using a pinking shears. Very happy as I can remove and install it by myself. Since the car is garaged, who needs a padlock?
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Blade

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on February 23, 2013, 11:52:11 AM
Be VERY VERY VERY careful with a waterproof cover if you are using it outside!!!!!  I ruined the paint job on the hood and trunk lid of my all original california born 75 Eldo with a WATERPROOF cover by leaving it outside.  While rain does not go through.....condensation does form underneath.....THEN when the sun comes out and beats down on the cover that DOES NOT breath since it is waterPROOF.....the paint actually gets boiled and burned!!!!!   Trust me on this one......it was not a good day.....

Jeff, sorry to hear about your incident, yes you need to make sure the company claims the cover is breathable and won't allow for damp/mold accumulation.

By the way I had a similar incident happened to me with a wax many years ago (yes a car wax). Had a '73 Olds 98 - absolutely beautiful original condition, old lady owned it before, same color blue/white as your Eldo. One hot sunny day I waxed it in the shade, right after I was done suddenly and unexpectedly rain came. I didn't even have the time to pull the car into the garage, but I figured it was already waxed what can it hurt; I went inside and had lunch. The rain was gone quick as it came, I went outside to wipe the water off and was completely shocked to see that the pain partially dissolved in spots on the hood and trunk where the rain drops were still sitting! I was very NOT happy! I tried fixing it anyway I possibly could but was only able to do so much. Maybe due to the hot then suddenly the cold rain has caused some reaction with the wax but a great original paint job was ruined! Needless to say the wax wasn't a brand name and since then I only use the higher end brands.