News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Throttle Dashpot 66 Deville

Started by Jays66, February 23, 2013, 10:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jays66

Good morning gents,

Trying to locate a throttle dashpot for my 66... Been checking all the common
Places but not seeing anything out there. Anyone know a place that might
Re-Manufacture them? I have the 4 barrel Carter AFB.

Jesse K

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jesse,

I bought an aftermarket one about 8 months ago but forget what store. You might try a carburetor or speed shop. It’s just a spring/damper mechanism that screws into the mount. You’ll have to adjust it once installed so any functional damper should work. If by chance you are referring to the spring loaded switch with wires attached, you’ll have a much bigger problem. That’s the trans kick down switch which are very difficult and expensive to find.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Scot Minesinger

The dashpot is not difficult to locate.  the purpose of it is to slow down how fast the spring return on the throttle reduces fuel to engine so it does not stall.  I have purchased used ones with good success that work well.  They are not difficult to install and adjust either.  The kick down switch is another matter, difficult to find a good used one.  These engines really have so much power that you can really enjoy the car without it.  I drove mine for 20k miles before I noticed that the kick down switch was not hooked up on my car.  I corrected the issue, but there has never been an occasion for me to force a downshift under heavy throttle.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty