News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

stuck lock passenger door '76 CDV

Started by Hankk17, February 24, 2013, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

Hey all - Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with a stuck passenger door lock in a '76 CDV?  I just noticed it today when I went to turn the engine over to charge the battery after letting the car sit in the garage hidden from the snow for a few months.

I'm assuming the door lock actuator is corroded stuck and I'll have to take the door apart to get to it, but at the moment its stuck closed and locked.  Would a slim jim get me out of this so I can open the door and take it apart easily?  I don't want to bend any of the rods inside.

ideas?

Thanks!

-Hank K
Wherever you go... There you are

bcroe

I have had a couple of those.  In one the door handle hinge was corroded.  Once to was pulled, it
failed to go fully back, and because of that the door couldn't be unlocked. 

In another case the actual door latch mechanism (held by 3 big screws) was corroded. 
After getting it unlocked with the slim jim, took it out and cleaned it up.  There is stuff
to dissolve most rust when soaked.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Hankk17

Hey Bruce, thanks for the response.  so a slim jim should be OK to use in this situation?

Hankk17

update:  fixed!

somehow one of the rods got jammed diagonally the last time I used the door locks before I put the car in the garage for the winter last year.  Tonight I took my home made aluminun slimjim and after observing how the working door worked by watching through the teeny slit between the window gaskets and the window itself I pulled on the rod I thought should be the one a few times with no luck.. then in frustration I pushed laterally and heard a POP and viola the door lock started working again, woot!

tomorrow I take the door apart the right way and try to figure out what's bent.

I love it when a plan comes together.. lol   8)

-Hank

TJ Hopland

Cool you got it working for the time being.   When I get frustrated things usually dont start working.  Usually at that point for me things get worse. 

If you get a chance some pictures or sketches would be handy for when it happens to the rest of us.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason