News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New to forum w/ 1970 Eldorado

Started by GoldEldorado, February 28, 2013, 06:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldEldorado

Hello Forum Folks ! 
just to introduce myself and my just purchased 1970 Eldorado.

My name is Josh and this is my 20th car and 12th classic since I got bit by the old car bug back in 1984.

The Eldorado is a 1970, San Francisco car with 69k on it now. this car is somewhat unusual as the "dealer to whom delivered"  says GM Overseas Dist Corp NY NY. then it states delivered to dealer at San Francisco Cal.
  The original owners are long since passed so I can't find out what Mr. Charles Jennings did for a living.  :-\
the car is loaded with all the power acc's, power trunk, climate control, cruise, rear defog and that cool Cadillac trumpet horn. Total on this car new was $ 8626.90 !

would like to hear from anyone else who has an overseas delivered car , might shed some light on this one.
1970 Gold Eldorado
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hello Josh,

Welcome to the CLC Forum. Yours appears to be a very nice example of a 1970 Eldorado. As I'm sure you're aware, 1970 was the last year of the 1st gen FWD Eldorado and the only of that generation with the 8.2 (500) engine and is very popular with collectors today.

I can't speak to the subject of vehicles produced for export but I'm certain there are members knowledgeable on the subject.

I strongly suggest you become a full CLC member which carries many useful benefits to a vintage Cadillac owner like yourself.

Welcome again. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dave Shepherd

As a car truly built for export it most likely has lower compression pistons or double head gaskets to tolerate poor gas quality. To add, as others have done, welcome to this great forum, BTW, 1970 Cadillacs across the board were some of GM's best made cars.

C.R. Patton II

All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Davidinhartford

okccadman

Welcome Josh.  I also have a 70 Eldo.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

GoldEldorado

beautiful car !
I have wanted a 67-70 Eldorado for a long time and glad I was able to put the deal together.

this is from the guy I traded for it " I purchased this car from the original owners family where the car was in storage since the 80's. The original owner was from San Francisco and was on business in europe and saw this car and fell in love and had to have it. Before he left europe he special ordered the car and had it delivered to San Francisco ( I have the original order paperwork from Cadillac) . I have the original sales reciept for this car which will come with the car including all the other original documents I have. Anyway, this car was babied and rarely driven in the rain.

This car has a FACTORY 500 cu/inch block with NO emmisions equipment... not even a charcol canister. in the late 60's cars started having emmissions equipment and it really caused an issue as it was a new thing. California cars had the most. This car WAS NOT orignally sold in california so it has nothing on it. not even the standard charcol canister as stated above like most 60's Cadillacs "
1970 Gold Eldorado
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

One thing that puzzles me about your car is the stand-up hood ornament instead of the ornament & wreath mounted on the leading edge of the hood which I had believed was correct for the 1970 model. Was this a mid-year change or done aftermarket? (My knowledge of 1st gen Eldos is limited)

76eldo

It's quite common to see 1970 era Cadillacs with the stand-up hood ornament added.  I have a 1970 DeVille convertible that someone added one to.  Below you will see a photo of a low mileage original 70 Eldo hood with proper ornamentation.

There's a bit of a fin on the front part of the hood trim and a wreath and crest on the front of the hood.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

I worked for Cad Mtr Car Div in NYC in the 60's thru the late 80's never saw an Eldo with that hood fin or the 70 Eldo in particular not having the spring loaded hood ornament unless, which was common, it had been stolen.

76eldo

Dave,

Check a 1970 Sales Brochure and get back to me on that.  The photo I posted is exactly correct for a 1970 Eldorado.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

GoldEldorado

The stand up hood ornament is original to the car, but that doesn't mean it came from the factory with it. It could have been added pre or post delivery. There are pictures of other Eldorados on line with the stand up ornament.  I'm not too fond of it myself and may change it in the future.
-J.Garrett
1970 Gold Eldorado
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Brian IS correct!! The stand up wreath & crest came out in 1971 and everyone put them & older Cadillacs & coaster wagons. So many of those were done that some people think they're stock...This is exactly why I try so hard to correct misconceptions & WAGs on this board. People see things & then assume they're correct. Check the data books, sales brochures & MPB for yourselves.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Bob is correct.  I’ve owned two 68 Eldos and one each 69 and 70.  All of them had the gun sight ornament, not the standup.  In the late 70s I went to the dealer to buy one of those standup ornaments and the parts guy asked if my car had the chrome strip in the center of the hood or not.  It does so he brought me one that works with the chrome strip. 

But when I got it home I found I would have to drill out a larger hole for the spring and the mounting holes did not line up.  I could not do that to my car, besides I noticed it would look funny with two wreaths and crests.  So the stand up ornament sits on my workbench.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Aaron Hudacky

Josh,

You have a nice looking car.  Are the roof and interior black?  Do you have more photos? 

I too have a 70 from San Francisco, but it has CA  emissions equipment intact.  Contrary to what your cars seller told you, CA emissions don't seem too extensive and haven't caused me any trouble or nuisance other than the evaporative fuel system, which reduces capacity of the fuel tank from 24 to 22 gallons, and seems to be small for the car's size and fuel consumption.  Little variations like that are interesting to me and I'm curious what other differences your car might have from cars that were originally intended to be sold in the US.  Does your paperwork list any changes that were necessary to bring it back into the US?  Welcome to the forum!

Aaron
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

okccadman

My 70 Eldo, although it has spent its entire life in Oklahoma, was sold new at Casa de Cadillac in Sherman Oaks, CA.  The emission devices were "partially" removed immediately upon its arrival here.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Dave Shepherd

I stand corrected on the hood ornamant issue, 71 was the first year for the stand up from the factory, the reflection in the picture made the hood fin look much higher, a closer look revealed that is correct.

76eldo

Guys,

I am never right when I "discuss" things with my wife.  At least I can be right here sometimes...

Brian 8)
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Everyone here pretty much confirmed my belief that the first Cadillac to have the stand-up hood ornament was the 1971 Eldorado. Of course, legions of owners added them later. This alteration almost always meant that the car would be wearing 2 hood ornaments- which we all know is never correct (for the purposes of this discussion).

However, it should be noted that this is not the case for Josh's car which only has the stand-up but not the front facia wreath and crest. Presumably this would've required the front holes filled in and front of the hood repainted and blended.

Josh- when you get a chance, would you mind checking the inside of the front of the hood at the centerline to see if there are any signs of the holes having been filled in? If there is no evidence of this and the hood left the factory without the holes, this would be quite a mystery. Perhaps a very late model year change? Also, if you would, please let us know your vehicle's VIN #. A very late production VIN just may support that hypothesis.

bcroe

Quote from: ericdev on February 28, 2013, 06:58:54 PM
Hello Josh,

Welcome to the CLC Forum. Yours appears to be a very nice example of a 1970 Eldorado. As I'm sure you're aware, 1970 was the last year of the 1st gen FWD Eldorado and the only of that generation with the 8.2 (500) engine and is very popular with collectors today.                  Welcome again.     

Eldo used the 500 from 70 to 76, but only the 70 was rated 400 hp.  At this age, best to put
on a new all metal timing chain set, regardless of mileage.  good luck, Bruce Roe