News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1987 Eldo Engine keeps dying,,HELP!!!!!!

Started by 60eldo, March 03, 2013, 11:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Guys,,,I have a 1987 Eldo 4.1 was running great no problems but lately I turn the key it turns over well but wont start, then 30 min later it starts so I start driving and all of a sudden it stalls and wont start, then I go back an hour later and it starts,,I need this car to go to work, what can this be,,,,maybe fuel pump, maybe computer chip,,,any ideas please
Jon. Kluczynski

76eldo

Ignition module and pickup in distributor is a great place to start looking.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

I would suggest checking spark at the plugs, if none, ignition problems as mentioned, if ok see if the injectors are spraying.

TJ Hopland

Ya fuel pump or ignition module.    Easy enough to check for fuel, just take the inlet snorkel thing off the top of the throttle body and look for fuel spraying from the injectors.   If you got fuel then its got to be a spark problem.  The intermittent nature sort of then points to the module.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

60eldo

thanks,,,is igintion modual expensive and can I install it?  Its under cap?
Jon. Kluczynski

TJ Hopland

My brain has not fully turned on yet this morning. We may have miss lead you slightly and need more testing.  I'm dont think this engine has a crank position sensor so the fuel trigger also comes from the distributor.  No fuel and no spark could mean the module.  No fuel but spark is likely fuel pump.  It is possible to have part of the module fail so you have the signal for the fuel but no spark but you could also have a bad coil or connection issues.  I remember on one of my 4100 cars had a upper radiator hose go and got the distributor all wet.  Was not a problem till about 6 months later when the corrosion had a chance to set in. 

When testing for spark on electronic oriented engines you should always use a spark tester or a spark plug, you never want to use a screwdriver and just let the spark jump.  Can cause spikes to wander into expensive electronic do dads.  Timing light is a good tool to use for this type of testing since we are not looking for a weak spark, we just want to know if its there.   Also connecting a tachometer to the tach terminal on the distributor cap will tell us if a signal is at least getting to the coil. 

Module is $8-$55 at Rockauto.   I would not trust the cheap ones.  Delphi is the $55.  Standard and Ac Delco $43.  Any of those 3 should be fine.

Yes you can replace it yourself.  Its under the rotor in the distributor.  Nothing too tricky about getting to it.  No marking things or messing with timing should be needed.   Just 4 screws holding the cap on and swing it out of the way with all the wires attached.  2 screws on the rotor, its keyed so it only fits on one way.   2 screws in the module and 3 connectors I believe.  There should be white goop under the module.  Clean the old stuff off the mounting surface.  Brake clean works good if I remember correctly.  New goop should come with the module and is required.  Its heat transfer grease.  Put it all back together and hopefully that does the trick. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason