News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Radio Installation

Started by VooDoo, March 03, 2013, 10:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDoo

I just finished redoing my dash and I was wondering if it would be easier to install the radio into the dash before installing the dash. Also what is the simplest way to test it to see if it works? I see one wire on the right side and it looks like 3 ports or plugs on the left. I dont know how these were hooked up. I am going to be putting a new stereo system in anyway but will keep it installed in the dash for looks. It would be kool if it actually works though. Thx
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

Chris Cummings

Hi.

It's been a while since I worked on a '41, but I did remove and replace a dash, and from my experience a '41 dash with the radio already installed would be very unwieldy and awkward to manage.  The original radio is a lot of weight when you're trying to align the dash with the cowl. 

It's not hard to install the radio with the dash in place.  And with the radio missing, it's easier to install the instruments and wiring.

The three ports you're seeing are for the vacuum-operated antenna.  There are guys who watch this forum who can tell you a whole lot more about your radio than I can. 

Hope that helps,

Chris Cummings
CLC 20072

Paul Phillips

Andy
I would agree that the radio should be installed after the dash, Chris is spot-on about both the weight and access to other items.  If you do install it, also be sure to install the braces and not try to hang only from the shafts.

The 1941 radio is a 6 volt positive ground unit, so any decisions about trying to use it should probably start with how original your electrical system will be.  If you have converted to 12V negative ground, using the original would require a very specialized power converter back to 6V pos ground (I have no idea if one is made).  There are folks out there who can replace all the functioning elements, convert to AM/FM/stereo, etc but keep most of the original look (see http://southtexasantiqueelectronics.com/ for one example) - that may be a good option to consider if you are 12V but want 'the look'.

The idea of running 2 radios can also be a challenge from the antenna perspective.  The electrical design,specifically capacitance, of the antenna system and original radio is generally not compatible with trying to couple 2 radios on the original antenna.

Hope this helps a bit.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

VooDoo

Thanks for the replys. It is a 12V system so I may just install the radio but not hook it up and run the new system. Thanks
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project