News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

defroster duct

Started by R Sotardi #11719, March 03, 2013, 10:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Sotardi #11719

Does anyone know if the defroster duct for the 49 will fit he 1950 models. Steele Rubber makes them for the 49s but not the 50s( the only two years). Ron

rghobden

I am also in need of the rubber defroster ducts on my 1950 and years ago had Steele send me what they had for the 1949 to compare or to see if I could modify them to make them work.  But the shape and coloring is entirely wrong.  They said they haven't had enough demand to produce them for my car, which I find hard to believe.  I haven't been able to find a source for them so I did what many others have done; fashion a metal plate to put over the openings at the ends of the dashboard.  Hopefully Steele will get enough people asking for them to start producing them.
Another club member said he had good luck repairing his.  Mine are hard and deformed too badly to resurrect.
Russ Hobden #1235
Russ Hobden, CLC #1235

Jay Friedman

Here's some on ebay for a Chev truck.  I suggest you contact the vendor and find out if it is the correct diameter and length that you need. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-71-72-CHEVROLET-PICKUP-DEFROST-DUCT-HOSE-SET-PLASTIC-NEW-/150832236949?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231e4d4995&vxp=mtr

If it is not correct, do an ebay search for "defroster duct" and you might get lucky.  It probably won't be specifically for a '50 Cadillac, but as long as it is the correct diameter and long enough you could cut it to size and make it work.  That's what I did some years ago for my '49 before Steele began manufacturing it.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

R Sotardi #11719

Russ, I got the same answer last year from Steele. I was able to use epoxy and hand form  the ends. It actually came out quite well. I'm wondering if   Rubber done Right might be interested or McVey, Metro or Cadillac Restoration Parts in KC might be interested? PS I already know of three people that asked Steele, so there is probably a demand for 40-50. After all, these are not 65-66 Mustangs, and Cadillac produced more 50s than 49s. Ron