News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Air bubbles in fuel

Started by NO1CHAUFFEUR, March 04, 2013, 12:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO1CHAUFFEUR

My 1949 Series 62 has air bubbles in the fuel pump bowl, and the see-thru filter, any ideas what may be causing this?

Walter Youshock

The fuel bowl housing may be warped and no longer making a good seal between the glass bowl, gasket and the housing.  Remove the glass bowl and gasket and place the glass bowl back on the filter housing.  If you can rock it back and forth and it's not making full contact then it could be the problem.  Remove the filter housing and GENTLY reform it in a vise.  They'll warp from heat and tightening the bowl hold down.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TMoore - NTCLC

This is also caused by a leak in the fuel line - not one that will seep gas out so that you can easily see it, but a very minute leak.

Check the connection to the fuel tank - this can be a source of air getting into the system, and make sure all of the line is in good shape (steel and rubber), and the connections along the way are all tight, including the inlet to the pump.

TonyZappone #2624

I have owned I don't know how many Cadillacs, thirties through sixties.  I can't think of one of them that didn't bubble in the filter bowl, usually when the car is hot.  I can't think of any incident where it affected the running of the car.  If it runs good leave it alone.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jay Friedman

I agree with Tony.  I have a '49 too and sometimes there are bubbles in the fuel pump filter bowl and sometimes there are not.  Leave it alone unless it runs poorly.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."