News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone from the US attending the meet in Perth 2014?

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, March 05, 2013, 11:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Bob

I'm saving my coins for a sleeping bag, tent and a plane ticket!
I read there are some beautiful LaSalle's over there.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I hope that a lot of people from overseas can attend, as this meet will be a beauty.

If you check with any of the people that have attended any of the previous Aussie meets, they will attest to having a blast.

Here, the place is full of "Drivers".   Even the Show Cars are "Drivers".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bruce,
Are you going? If so, will you bring a car? I'm seriously thinking about going. I'd love to bring a car but it would be very expensive & I'm planning on going to the east coast. A long drive.
Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob,

Yes, I am going, and wouldn't think of going without my Eldorado.

Taking my wife, and a couple of friends to share the experience, and will be cruising the highways and byways to get there.   On the return journey, will be taking the long way around, visiting Darwin and Cairns.   Around 12,000 miles in all.

Be great to catch up with you again.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

phildeville@cox.net

Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Phil,

I am sorry to have to report that there are no Cadillacs in any of the Car Rental Companies registers in Australia, but it may be possible to find a friendly Cadillac Club Member in Australia with more cars than he or she, can drive at once. that they might be willing to share.

I am afraid that I only have one, but it is a six-seater, and will have always a couple of spare seats for passengers.

Actually, the closest thing to a Cadillac will be a Holden Statesman or Caprice, and from what I have seen, of new Cadillacs in USA, you will be pleasantly surprised with the Holden.   These are VERY nice.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Muzza427

Hi Bob,
There is also a group taking Cadillac's from Australia's East Coast to the West Coast and currently in discussions with a documentary company about filming the event with a US based camera crew. There is a link on our Nationals page https://sites.google.com/site/2014cadillacnationals/home which gives the details. There may be an opportunity for an adventerous spirit to catch a ride if you care to contact them. It's the trip of a lifetime across the Nullabor plains. I've done it several times now and loved it each time. Always something different.

Cheers

Murray Bollen #26630
2014 Nationals Committee
Murray Bollen
Mandurah, West Australia
1960 Coupe DeVille
1966 Fleetwood Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Murray,
THANK YOU for your reply. It gives me a new plan to consider. I want to see "my mates" on both sides of the country. Is that trip going to be peddle to the metal all the way or will there be some time for sight seeing along the way. Please advise.
Regards, Bob

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bob, and others,

Here in Australia, the Speed Limits are strictly enforced, and the maximum in most places is 100 Kph (60 Mph approx) (110 Kph [65 Mph Approx] on certain highways) and anything above that will result in heavy fines.

By anything above that, I an talking about 5 or more Kph above the posted limit.   Try 46Kph above the limit, and you will lose your car for a while, and suffer an even heavier fine.

Even the Police caught driving over the limit risk being fined if they don't have a valid reason, which in most cases is backed up by a call from the Radio Dispatch Office to confirm that they are involved in a chase or some other reason.

Plus, a lot of speed limits are enforced using "point-to-point" average speed cameras.   And every State has many hidden speed cameras.   And the pictures are taken either front-on or from the rear, and you don't know that you have been booked till you receive a letter in the mail, weeks later, and by that time, you could have raked up a few more not-so "Happy Snaps".

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bruce,
Bad news on those speed limits! I was going to rent a 2013 red  Holden Statesman & blast across the Nullarbor at about 75+ MPH just like we do here in the desert states. LOL
Actually, that speed limit is plenty fast for this tour. I'm going to consider the tour for my vacation to Oz.
Bob

Muzza427

Bob,
The group leaving from Queensland have their own webpage with "draft" itinerary:

http://www.ccctn.com.au/itinerary.html

this will probably be a long trip, but there will be plenty of spare time if one is not time constrained. Please feel free to contact Milton to explore the possibilities, or join up with Bruce in Melbourne or somewhere else, and trip across with him. There are a multitude of choices, which all depend on what you want to get out of a trip like this. One thing for sure, it will be like no other!!
Regards
Murray Bollen #26630
2014 Nationals Committee
Murray Bollen
Mandurah, West Australia
1960 Coupe DeVille
1966 Fleetwood Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

If anyone wants to travel along with me, be prepared for a whole lot of sightseeing along the way.   Probably only be doing 300 to 400 Klms per day.

We will be travelling the Great Ocean Road, "terrorising" the locals, spending days here and there, then once arriving in Adelaide, heading across the Nullabor Plain till 2/3's the way across, then turning 45 degrees to the Left, then to Albany, and following the coast to Busselton.

Haven't worked out the departure date, as I am still working back from our arrival time in Busselton on the 9th April.   Plus, tying in with the Ferry Booking across Bass Strait.

The return journey will be a tad longer, via Darwin and Cairns. 

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Murray,
I found answers to my questions after spending more time on that site.
Bruce,
I like the terrorising the natives part. LOL I'm already wearing out the pages in my Australian atlas.

Thanks to both of you.
Bob

Muzza427

There is a group from Queensland discussiing a documentary with "Tail Fins and Chrome" on the long drive across Australia. I've seen quite a bit of interest in that so far. There's a link to that on the Links Page of the Australian Nationals Webpage

https://sites.google.com/site/2014cadillacnationals/

Bruce is also embarking on a huge adventure which is deserving of it's own documentary. What a classic trip.
Cheers
Murray
Murray Bollen
Mandurah, West Australia
1960 Coupe DeVille
1966 Fleetwood Brougham