News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Vinyl top restoration; paint it? dye it? options? how to?

Started by pacificnwrider, March 06, 2013, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacificnwrider

Has anybody had any experience with restoring their vinyl top? Mine is in really good shape with the exception that its faded.  I have looked online; there seem to be a lot of products available for either painting or dying a top.  I'm wondering if any of you guys have done this to your top and if so, what your experience has been?  THANKS!

66 Eldo

I Like SEM dye. For big jobs like a full vinyl roof or convertible top I prefer to get it in qt. cans and spray it with a gun. Your coverage is more uniform compared to cans IMHO.  You don't need a big compressor with a lot of CFM like when spraying a paint job on a car. Just remember to follow all the steps and use all the related SEM products recommended,  i.e. SEM soap, vinyl and plastic prep and adhesion promoter.

Series75

I've done this also on a 1996 Brougham (gold) to freshen it up.  Turned out great.  Same on a maroon 1990 Fleetwood.   Use the product with a spray gun, low air pressure.   Good luck   Tom CLC#6866