News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I need help deciding if I should change a 1958 Grille from Silver to Gold

Started by johnregrus, March 06, 2013, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnregrus

I'm currently restoring a 1958 Cadillac series 62 Coblat Blue with a White Top.
I'm sending the grille away to be re anodized to show standards. The car came with a silver grille from the factory.

My questions are:
1. If a car in 1958 had been ordered with the option of a gold grille would that option be shown on the data plate?
2. At a local CLC show level would I be penalized much for having a gold grille in judging?
3. Do you think a gold grille would jump out more than a silver one on the car? Where I come from I've never seen in person a 1958 with the gold option.
I can only afford to do this once so I am struggling with making a decision.
Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Dan LeBlanc

The gold anodized option was a $27 option in 1958 that could likely be dealer installed.  I would assume there would be no penalty for dealer installed accessories in judging.

Here's a photo from a google image search.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

1:  Yes
2:  No
3:  Yes, but you'll have the only Series 62 with the gold grille.  Cobalt blue and the gold go very nicely and it would complement the car.  With some colors, it's a total distraction.  If you do go for the gold, the tone will be important.  It's supposed to be a satiny finish applied over an extruded aluminum, not on a highly polished aluminum.  I was told all the original anodizing has to be removed prior to refinishing and the delicate extruded lines basically disappear.

Are you sending it to Mack's in PA? 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

JConk58

I went through this with my 58 convertible. Someone had painted mine gold. Whether or not it was gold originally I don't know. You could get it either way and it would be correct for your car. I ultimately went with silver and I'm glad I did. My car is black. I've seen both plenty of times. Gold is typically on an Eldo. I like the silver better but it's just my opinion. I just got
my restored grille back. I love it.

Good luck on your choice.
James Conkright CLC #18783
Owensboro, Kentucky
1950 Buick Special 46-S
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Conv
1971 Chevrolet Monte Carlo