News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

engine compartment 66

Started by jbomd, March 11, 2013, 10:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbomd

I'm taking my 66 Eldo to my first Grand National this year.   How crazy do I have to get with details like color of bolts in the engine compartment?  Does anybody know which bolts are yellow cad plated?   J. O'Connell
joconnell

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Joe,

I have an very early Eldorado - Oct ’65, and a midyear Brougham - March ’66. The threaded SAE (indented head) bolts on the Eldorado were yellow chromate (washed out yellow gold). Those same bolts were silver cadmium on the Brougham. I believe that its an early- late thing as the all bolts in ’65 were yellow chromate. I don’t know the date of the changeover. However, I doubt very much that there would be point deductions. Your best source for authenticity information is the 1965-66 CLC Authenticity Manual. See the Home Page for ordering details. The smaller sheet metal screws used around the radiator were black oxide on the Eldorado but silver cad on the Brougham . I’ve attached two pictures of the Brougham.

HTH
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Big Frank

Good times!!! VERY helpful topic!! Can we have this stickied please??????????????????????

cadillacmike68

Everything down to the radiator clamps is scrutinized. Extra chrome is frowned upon and will be suitably dealt with on the judging sheets. Hoses must have the ribs running along their length. Belts must have the original 47 year old markings. Your air cleaner wing nut must the the factory original. God help you if you don't have a period example Delco battery in the car.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike