News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Chain of Command for 1956?

Started by Huffstutler, March 12, 2013, 10:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huffstutler

Here is one that should be easy â€" I hope.

Can someone provide me the chain of command at Cadillac for 1956?   The pecking order with heads of the engineering and design departments..

Like I know that William Mitchell > Ed Glowacke > Bob Scheelk  were in the design studio but who was directly above Bill?  Was it Harley Earl or someone else?

Same with engineering…  I know Fred Arnold and Harry Purdy below him but who was above Fred and between he and Harry?

Thanks!

Eric
Eric Huffstutler

Huffstutler

Odd.. thought this would have been an easy one to answer especially with so many historians lurking and books floating about?   :-\
Eric Huffstutler

Louis Smith

Quote from: Huffstutler on March 12, 2013, 01:50:51 PM
Odd.. thought this would have been an easy one to answer especially with so many historians lurking and books floating about?   :-\

Here's my theory.  Car enthusiasts basically aren't too concerned with the "business" side of their cars.  Yes the more enthusiastic might be interested in the "designers" especially the most important and influential such as Earl and Mitchell.  I might also suggest that those on the "business", while being car guys, are more concerned with producing a great product and holding onto their jobs.

quadfins

I have the info for 1961, but that's not what you need.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Louis Smith

Speaking of Cadillac Chain of Command.  If you haven't seen the film Rodger and me, see if you can rent it.  "Me" was Michael Moore, and Rodger was Rodger Smith the CEO of GM in 1989.  Could it be almost 25 years since Michael Moore became a household name?   Michael Moore pursues GM CEO Roger Smith to confront him about the harm he did to Flint, Michigan with his massive downsizing.  Interesting documentary giving some insight to GM corporate mentality. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Regarding Cadillac management for 1956 I've been able to find the following.

Don E Aherns, General Manager. July 10, 1950- December 31, 1956.

Charles F Arnold, Chief Engineer. September 1, 1950- February 28, 1965

Edward Glowacke, Chief Designer (Cadillac Studio) June 1, 1951- August 1, 1957

James M Roche, General Sales Manager July 10, 1950- December 31, 1956.

To my knowledge Harley Earl was the Chief Director of Styling for all GM divisions; William Mitchell was his assistant.

Then there were the stylists under Glowacke including Chuck Jordan, David Hols and others.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Huffstutler

Who fell under Arnold and above him?

Also...

I wonder why the men of General Motors are so hard to track down?  People of high profile stance with a major corporation just fade into obscurity. Like Charles Frederick Arnold who was Cadillac chief engineer between 1950-1965. I see he was born 1900 in Ohio and if I have the correct person, died 1990 in Ann Arbor, MI. But I can not find much about his personal life online to even validate I have the correct person... odd???

True, names to some are not important but when I write I like to add a face and personality to the subject matter so it isn't simply a bunch of dry facts and figures.  And to researchers will be a source of information as well.   ;)
Eric Huffstutler

Louis Smith

Quote from: Huffstutler on March 13, 2013, 02:06:00 PM
Who fell under Arnold and above him?

Also...

I wonder why the men of General Motors are so hard to track down?  People of high profile stance with a major corporation just fade into obscurity. Like Charles Frederick Arnold who was Cadillac chief engineer between 1950-1965. I see he was born 1900 in Ohio and if I have the correct person, died 1990 in Ann Arbor, MI. But I can not find much about his personal life online to even validate I have the correct person... odd???

True, names to some are not important but when I write I like to add a face and personality to the subject matter so it isn't simply a bunch of dry facts and figures.  And to researchers will be a source of information as well.   ;)

While there is an interest of the "Men of GM", with those of us in the hobby, keep in mind that they were just employees of a major corporation.  Most people are only concerned about getting quality and reliability from their automobiles.  They are not at all concerned with the faces or names of those that were most influential in bringing the products to market.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Eric- have you checked with Greg Wallace? He heads up (or used to) Cadillac historical services. The info you seek is very specialized and it may require getting priviledged access to company records.

Best of luck with the project.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute