News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 Cadillac Trailer Specifications

Started by Jeff Wilk, March 13, 2013, 07:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Anybody out there trailer their 59 Cadillac?  Wondering what the dimensions are for an enclosed trailer that are needed to fit a car this large.  What about the interior wheel wells in the trailer?  Don't they get in the way of driving in?  Length?  Any and all advice appreciated...

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

curly

Jeff,
I once tried to move my 59 Fleetwood on very large open trailer. I had maybe an inch of room between the front tires and the wheel wells, but the rockers would not clear the wheel wells. It was a friends trailer so I do not remember the dimensions, but I was surprised the car didn't clear because it was a very wide and long trailer.

When I moved across the state to my new home, I hired a professional carrier (Reliable carriers) to move all 3 of my Cads.  The truck was an enclosed Semi-truck trailer design.  The cad fit, but there wasn't a whole lot of room to open the door once it was in! I've attached a couple of pics so you can see how tight the fit is in a semi.

T Lewis

Jeff Wilk

Thanks Curly, and love that color Fleetwood!!!!   Another member also warned about the rockers and actually uses a trailer with a raised floor so the floor is flat from side wall to side wall. Now i see why. Id definitely use a transport co to move me down south as i have 6 vehicles in all that i would/could not drive that far.  Im considering this for local use back and forth to shops and for plain old "making room" in my garage temp storage. 

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

gary griffin

Large cars and trailers are problematic.

First the wheel wells limit the width so eliminating them would be my first choice but that would mean smaller wheels and possibly another axle to carry the weight. Raising the deck to clear the wheel wells decreases stability due to raising the center of gravity.

Having a door in the trailer larger than the car door and aligned with the position of the car door is also important so you can get out of the car easily. Since I also have right hand drive cars I would need an additional door on the right side.

I have an enclosed trailer that is too small and I am considering buying a better one with a gravel guard in front and coming around the first 1/3 of the car rather than a fully enclosed one.

I hope this thread steers me to a better solution than that though.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver