News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

NEVER SAW THIS PICTURE BEFORE

Started by R Schroeder, March 15, 2013, 10:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

This is the first time I have seen this picture.
Roy

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's the 1954 El Camino show car.

http://lost-show-cars.blogspot.com/
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

R Schroeder

WOW. Thats all I can say.
Beautiful machines.
Roy

Louis Smith

How about the Corvette station wagon in the background?  What is the car in the middle?  What is visible is some of the styling that was used in years to come.

pinkcaddy96

This stuff is vintage greatness!  Why can't car companies manufacture stuff like this today?  Nostalgic and classy.  Like time travel.

N Kahn

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 15, 2013, 11:59:02 AM
How about the Corvette station wagon in the background?  What is the car in the middle?  What is visible is some of the styling that was used in years to come.

1954 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Louis Smith

Quote from: pinkcaddy96 on March 15, 2013, 12:24:19 PM
This stuff is vintage greatness!  Why can't car companies manufacture stuff like this today?  Nostalgic and classy.  Like time travel.

I guess they could if they wanted to, and thought it would be profitable.  Here's my thoughts on the subject.  Many of us grew up in the "golden age" of automobile design.  It was a time when designers were left to their own devices with very little if any government intervention and regulation.  Specifically, I am referring to post WWII.  It was a time when more Americans could afford new cars, and competition was stiff among manufacturers. It was also about the time of early space exploration, and the "rocket ship" look was very much in vogue.  This trend continued with bigger cars and the iconic fins.  Slowly the government got involved with regulations. In the beginning it was with safety, which was a good thing.  Emission concern was next, also a good thing.  Things still progressed very nicely, with Cadillac producing some of its most beautiful cars.  Then came the mid 70's, and the infamous oil embargo.  The government stepped up regulations to try and cut down the consumption of oil.  Most notable was reducing the maximum speed limit to 55, not a good thing. CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy), was introduced.  Basically a good thing, but caused the problems with the 1981 Cadillacs with the 8-6-4 engine.  It was at this point that the designers started to factor in friction and wind resistance in designing new models.  They knew that rounded edges offered less resistance the big bulky designs of the past.  This led the way to the "jelly bean look" era, where basically all cars looked the same, except for their colors.  Gone was the days of unrestricted designing of cars.  Probably one of the biggest factors in designing cars to be fuel efficient was weight.  Less weight better gas mileage.  Less weight, smaller cars and less room for design.  With the passing of time, and better engineering in engines, the designers have been able to be more creative with their creations.  In my opinion, we have many great looking cars today.  Take for example the crossover vehicles.  They are nothing more then present day station wagons!  There was a time when no self respecting car lover would be caught dead in a station wagon.  They were the type of car, dad bought to be practical.  Move the clock forward to today.  Look what Cadillac has done with the SRX!  A truly great looking vehicle, that appeals to all ranges of age of car buyers.  Did you ever think you would see Cadillac market a truck or even a station wagon, such as they did with the CTS SPORT WAGON?  *Note that they call it a "Sport" wagon, not a station wagon.  A rose by any other name etc.  It should also be noted that the manufactures are producing the "retro" look, i.e. Mustangs, T-Birds, Camaro etc.  Chysler is bring back many of their old names, Charger, Road Runner etc., as is Chevrolet.  Can Cadillac be far behind?  From the beginning the name Eldorado always meant luxury.

Louis Smith

Big Apple Caddy

I think many would have a fit, especially classic enthusiasts, if GM announced plans to build a Corvette station wagon or crossover today.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 15, 2013, 01:12:29 PM
I think many would have a fit, especially classic enthusiasts, if GM announced plans to build a Corvette station wagon or crossover today.

I think that Corvette started out as America's answer to a sport car, and should stay that way.

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Nice history theory Louis.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Louis Smith

Chris Conklin

What's interesting (and forgotten) is that they weren't designing fantastic nostalgic vehicles, nobody was looking backward when creating these cars. These were their designs for the future and quite a few of them were belittled just as much as the concept cars of today. Different time, different theories, different materials and methods. Same business.
Chris Conklin

Tim Cenowa

Isn't the station wagon a Checrolet Nomad concept vehicle?
Tim Cenowa #17386

Louis Smith

Quote from: Tim Cenowa on March 15, 2013, 06:28:58 PM
Isn't the station wagon a Checrolet Nomad concept vehicle?

Yes it is.

MB49Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 15, 2013, 11:59:02 AM

I would buy that corvette wagon in two seconds...how cool is that thing? WHY like you just said can they not make cars like that anymore?

MB
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln