News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dilbert and restoring old cars.

Started by Louis Smith, March 17, 2013, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Frickin' techo dorks. I'm a computer guy, and that's just wrong.

As the Queen would say: "We are not amused."

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Davidinhartford

Shoe has far better car related strips.

signart

I love the comic strips above, but one of the comments on the Dilbert bit was rich.

(Paraphrasing) Young lad watching his father restoring an old car, says " When I grow up, I want to restore an old car too." Dad looks up with busted knuckles and grease all over, and replies "You can't do both!"

Art Woody
Art D. Woody

R Schroeder

I liked that one too.
Couldnt have said it better.
Roy

TJ Hopland

I like the fuel injection one.

Remember the Midas commercial where the customer calls and asks if his car is done?  The service person says he has got his 3 best guys on it and shows 3 big dudes sitting on the hood eating lunch. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Hansen

My all time favorite Shoe cartoon was a three paneled daily strip showing Cosmo and Skyler sitting down to watch Cosmo's favorite show on auto restoration.  The last panel showed the words "Welcome to This Old Heap" coming out of the TV.  For those that don't get the reference, it's a take off of the popular PBS show "This Old House".

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

76eldo

I was selling my wire's SL Mercedes a while back.  Two guys showed up to look at the car, one stranger than the other.  Real strange.

The one guy came into my garage and asked me why I was "hoarding" Cadillacs, but he did like the Mustang in the corner, which was actually a 93 Allante.

I explained to him that I collect vintage Cadillacs and he just looked confused.

The first guy then told me that he was legally blind and had to think it over.

'Ya never know...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

mgbeda

I remember a Sunday "Shoe" comic strip that was a take off of the 80's Lincoln ads where people couldn't tell their Cadillac from an Oldsmobile or Buick, etc.  Of course the payoff was that Shoe had no trouble identifying his car.  I loved the final frame which showed a huge pink tailfin towering over a sea of grey blobs like a scene from "Jaws".

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Louis Smith

Quote from: 76eldo on March 19, 2013, 02:00:04 PM
I was selling my wire's SL Mercedes a while back.  Two guys showed up to look at the car, one stranger than the other.  Real strange.

The one guy came into my garage and asked me why I was "hoarding" Cadillacs, but he did like the Mustang in the corner, which was actually a 93 Allante.

I explained to him that I collect vintage Cadillacs and he just looked confused.

The first guy then told me that he was legally blind and had to think it over.

'Ya never know...

Brian

Nothing strange about a blind person looking to buy a car.  Thats why the driveup ATM's have the keypads in Braille. 

Davidinhartford

Quote from: mgbeda on March 19, 2013, 02:28:56 PM
I remember a Sunday "Shoe" comic strip that was a take off of the 80's Lincoln ads where people couldn't tell their Cadillac from an Oldsmobile or Buick, etc.  Of course the payoff was that Shoe had no trouble identifying his car.  I loved the final frame which showed a huge pink tailfin towering over a sea of grey blobs like a scene from "Jaws".

-mB

LOL  This one;

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on March 19, 2013, 08:00:13 PM
LOL  This one;

Funny but sadly so true.  All top of the line Buicks Olds and Cadillacs all looked the same.  I still shake my head, how GM ever thought they would be able to keep their lead in car sales.

Which is which?

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on March 19, 2013, 08:39:04 PM
This one:  http://youtu.be/SaZqQLpbjFU

I remember that commercial.  GM really set themselves up for that shot at them!  This was the beginning of the end for GM and Cadillac, for quite some time.

Davidinhartford

Cadillac actually had a come back to that commercial featuring the Brougham.    It was very similar showing a weathly couple having their Town Car pull up by the valet.   "I like a big car" the man says to another well dressed couple.    "So do I" says the second man as his new Brougham is pulled up by the valet.  "And mine is bigger than your car".  Then the second couple get in and drive away in the big Cadillac Brougham leaving the first couple slack jawed.

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on March 19, 2013, 08:55:03 PM
Cadillac actually had a come back to that commercial featuring the Brougham.    It was very similar showing a weathly couple having their Town Car pull up by the valet.   "I like a big car" the man says to another well dressed couple.    "So do I" says the second man as his new Brougham is pulled up by the valet.  "And mine is bigger than your car".  Then the second couple get in and drive away in the big Cadillac Brougham leaving the first couple slack jawed.

Sort of weak if you ask me, especially since the Brougham was the top of the line, and not one of their mainline models, which most people would buy.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 19, 2013, 08:10:59 PM
Funny but sadly so true.  All top of the line Buicks Olds and Cadillacs all looked the same.  I still shake my head, how GM ever thought they would be able to keep their lead in car sales.
Trouble is the truth is in the cartoon.   All cars now look exactly the same.   A top of the range Hyundai, even close up looks like everything else in the car parks.

The sooner the makers realise that looks outweigh design and safety, we will get cars that look different, but, sadly, that will not happen in the near future.

Bruce.  >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Louis Smith

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 19, 2013, 09:58:58 PM
Trouble is the truth is in the cartoon.   All cars now look exactly the same.   A top of the range Hyundai, even close up looks like everything else in the car parks.

The sooner the makers realise that looks outweigh design and safety, we will get cars that look different, but, sadly, that will not happen in the near future.

Bruce.  >:D

I can not agree with that.  Yes, for the most part many cars of today, look similar.  Unlike in the past, when looks was very important to the buying public, looks aren't really what sells cars today.  With the cars looking similar, I think the factors that draw people to dealerships are reliability, price and gas mileage.  Ironically I think it is GM that has the most products that somewhat more stylish, not to forget Chrysler products which has very imaginative looking cars.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 19, 2013, 08:46:46 PM
I remember that commercial.  GM really set themselves up for that shot at them!  This was the beginning of the end for GM and Cadillac, for quite some time.

Despite similar looks, they did sell well at the time.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 19, 2013, 09:58:58 PM

Cars looking too much alike, or complaints about such, is far from unique to today.  This has been a complaint from some people going back 50+ years.