News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Maintenance Schedule

Started by waterzap, March 18, 2013, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Trying to create a maintenance schedule for my cars.

The oil changes, coolant, and thermostat is probably very conservative. Still, will keep with it.

Any feedback?

Service to Perform   mileage   time
Air Filter   12000   1 yrs
Brake Fluid   24000   2 yrs
Coolant   24000   2 yrs
Coolant Cap   30000   5 yrs
Coolant Hoses   50000   5 yrs
Diff Lubricant   30000   3 yrs
Fuel Filter   24000   3 yrs
Gas Cap   30000   5yrs
Lubricate Chassis / Parking Brake Cable      1 yr
Oil   3000   6 months
PCV Valve   30000   5 yrs
Rotate Tires   9000   
Spark Plugs Copper   30000   
Spark Plugs Platinum   100000   
Thermostat   30000   5 yrs
Throttle Body Cleaning      12 months
Transmission Fluid   30000   5 yrs
Windshield Wipers   24000   2 yrs
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

I think a lot of things will depend on factors like how often it gets driven vs stored and what those storage conditions are. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Gene Beaird

That looks pretty good.  You might be able to go a year between oil changes since the cars aren't driven daily, and as long as when they are, you get things warmed up and driven for a while warm.  Moisture is your enemy here.  I'd at least replace the brake fluid in the master cylinder every year, then probably bleed them every 2. 

I've been replacing the fluid in the MC every year on all our cars, even the ones that aren't driven that much.  That has improved the longevity of the brake system SIGNIFICANTLY. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

D.Yaros

Me thinks 9K betw tire rotations is a bit much.  More comfortable with 5K intervals.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

bcroe

At 15 years I pull the gas tank & check it out.  Also the trans, to get new soft parts, and
suspension soft parts (rubber bushings) get changed when handling fades.  The hard parts
(ball joints) get changed by mileage, late 70s seem to go 200,000 miles if properly greased. 
The brake hoses change at about a dozen years; calipers & cylinders at 15 or if there is any
hint of a problem.  The (extra heavy duty 4 row) radiator gets recored whenever the temp
gauge fails to act anchored to its usual spot.  I do radiator hoses at 4 years, because I have
seen failures at 5.  Water pump, 60,000 miles.  I pull the alt and change the front bearing
at 60,000 mile, the rear bearing & brushes at 120,000 miles.  Wheel bearings checked at
10,000 miles.  Fuel & vacuum hoses about 10 years, though I will try and extend that with
silicone.  An original 70s Cat converter replace immediately, the newer monolithic if back
pressure increases or to pass emissions.  An original timing chain set (with plastic sprocket
teeth) 10 years or 100,000 miles; roller chain never.  When the damper ring slips, I put
on a FluiDamper.  Bruce Roe

bcroe

Also, I replace the heater core at 18 years, because that is when they seem to start seeping. 
Bruce

Jon S

Having the 1958 since new, I think a lot of your listed items are over-kill.  Here's my 2 cents:

Service to Perform   mileage   time
Air Filter   12000   1 yrs
Brake Fluid  - When the Master or wheel cylinder(s) need re-building (Use a Dot 3 Low Moisture Absorbtion fluid)
Coolant - Many coolants are "lifetime."  I checked mine after 30 years and it was still blue and 5 balls floated 
Coolant Cap  - they don't go bad unless you are constantly taking them off/on - Should last a lifetime
Coolant Hoses  - Only if they develop soft spots, bubbles or cracks.  I have some 30+ years old on the cars
Diff Lubricant - No need to play with this fluid - lifetime
Fuel Filter   24000   3 yrs
Gas Cap - Should last life of the car
Lubricate Chassis / Parking Brake Cable - 5 years
Oil  2,000 miles with filter and no Synthetic!
PCV Valve   30000   5 yrs
Rotate Tires - Only if strange wear 
Spark Plugs Copper   30000   
Spark Plugs Platinum   50000 if you have conventional points   
Thermostat - Never unless it's stuck open or closed
Throttle Body Cleaning      12 months (assume you are talking Fuel Injection car)
Transmission Fluid   60000 
Windshield Wipers  2 - 5 yrs

BTW, when I changed my Valley Pan Gasket at 80,000 miles, there was zero sludge/varnish on the valve lifters.  I use conventional 10/40W Quaker State or Pennzoil changed every 2,000 miles since new.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

waterzap

Thanks guys. Taking all the suggestions, I now have a better idea of my maintenance schedules.
Leesburg, AL