News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Deville wheel cylinder question +one other part to ID

Started by stratogeezer, March 18, 2013, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratogeezer

Hi folks,

I just replaced all of the brake lines on my 66 Deville, including new wheel cylinders. I was about to make the final two connections, where the steel line fitting goes into the wheel cylinder, and noticed a) the thread patterns did not match and b) the inside of the connection point on the wheel cylinder itself seemed like it was missing a female compression fitting on the inside. So even if the threads did match, it would most likely not seal properly. Any insight on what may be happening here?  See the attached picture. (If my upload works!)

Also, I am trying to identify and locate a replacement T-connector, that goes on the vacuum hose that exits the back of the carb, and plugs onto the check valve on the brake booster. See 2nd picture. Note one end is broken off. What is that part called and where might I order or buy another one?

Much appreciated, Rob Kaufman, Norcross, GA
Rob Kaufman CLC# 27685 and Peach State CLC #181

Brad Phillips

That wheel cylinder is defective. You are right about the connection. If you can hone the original cylinder and replace the springs/seals that's what i would do.

Edit: I was wrong. That is a  cylinder for a front wheel as pointed out below. Sorry about that.
'65 Eldorado
'95 Chevy Silverado

TJ Hopland

Sounds like you got a wheel cylinder for a front wheel.  Front wheel cylinders have a hose connection so they dont have the seat for the hard line to sit on.   Other than bore size that is the only difference between a front and rear cylinder that I know of. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Rod Dahlgren #19496

I agree with TJ, someone gave you a front cylinder. Also a note about some of the new wheel cylinders I have seen. The internal spring is a small diameter and does not properly back up the cups. AND I have even seen wrong diameter cups in some new out ot the box cylinders... CHECK YOUR NEW PARTS..
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

stratogeezer

Thanks guys. It's definitely a case where I ordered 2 front and 2 rear cylinders, but obviously was sent 2 pairs of front cylinders.

At least I found this out before the car was on the road. 

Thanks again!  Rob
Rob Kaufman CLC# 27685 and Peach State CLC #181