News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946 Flathead Low Oil Pressure

Started by wicho46, March 19, 2013, 12:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicho46

Seeking advice from fellow Cadillac members.
When engine is Cold 30psi is pressent at gauge, once engine warms up to temp my oil pressure falls to 8psi. AT IDLE. 
When engine is at 2800rpm the oil gauge only goes up to about 11psi. when engine is at running temp. I cant seem to figure this out.
When running cold 30psi present but gauge starts to drop down to 11psi even though car is running at about 45mph. Running straight 30w non-dtergent oil since I have NO aftermarket oil filter. I will drop the oil pan and inspect the oil pump.
I have a spare oil pump I came accross, but those gears inside are cut straight. VS the original's that were cut at an angle. anything I should look out for? What should I check for? Would the other gears work? I'll take any advice. Thanks.
Thank You
L Lopez

Fred Pennington 25635

If you are using the dash gauge, I would verify the readings with another gauge before tearing into the engine.
Low oil pressure is more indicative of worn bearings, but the pump can also be the problem. It is easier to repair and might give you some time before you have to do the bearings. The main issues with the pump is wear or scoring of the bottom plate. Often times you can just smooth out or replace it. That's the shade tree method but it works better than most people would admit too. The pumps and kits are readily available and the job can be done in an afternoon.

One last thought, the pick up screen could be full of sludge, one way or the other you are dropping the pan.

Good Luck
Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

pauldridge

Seems to me if the pickup screen were clogged you'd have low pressure at startup as well.

If it were me I'd pull the pan, get some plastigage and check main and rod bearing clearances as well as that pickup screen.

Rig up a remote starter switch to get rod caps at straight down positions. You'll want #1 piston near TDC to remove the pan or that crank throw will prevent the oil pan from clearing the drag link.

If you can get it on a lift the whole job can be done in 3 or 4 hours
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

Doug Houston

Leave the rod caps alone!!

The worn bearings, if there are any, will be the CAMSHAFT bearings, which can't be replaced from the bottom of the engine.

While the oil pan is off, check the regulator plug in the oil pump, and if it's stuck. That will make the oil pressure behave as described. If new oil pump gears are to be had, buy new ones, and a new regulator valve.

If this doesn't bring oil pressure back to normal the cam bearings are probably gone.  That would signal a rebuild. (and NOT a Chevy small block replacement!!)

And also no 12 Volt conversion, either.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Glen

This maybe totally off the wall but…. Some diesel engines I work with have low oil pressure when the oil is worn out.  I watched the oil pressure and if it went low at idle when at operation temperature I knew it was time to change the oil.  Fresh oil always brought the oil pressure back up. 

It cheaper to change the oil than any other option.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

gary griffin

I know oil gets dirty but does it wear out? Is it possible that it gets contaminated by fuel from the combustion chambers?  I know diluted oil is likely to have less oil pressure. I went to a Navy diesel mechanics school when I was in the army reserves (1959) and I seem to recall that as engines wear there is more blow by and thinner oil would show up as low oil pressure. My knowledge is limited and not current but also many diesels are 2 stroke and could bypass more fuel than 4 strokes would.

Diesel evaporates at a lower temperature as Gasoline so gasoline residue would accumulate in the oil contaminating it but not diluting it. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

wicho46

I removed the oil pan. Pickup screen was clean. I repaced the oil pump with a spare that I had, the 2 oil gears are cut straight on this one. Put back into engine  and  35psi on this when cold, dropped down to 18psi when hot at idle. Yes when engine is driven I get a good 30psi on gauge.  Looks like problem has been resolved.  Glad to get my daily driver back on the road.
1946 Cadillac 4dr. 61series
L Lopez

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello L Lopez. I have used the product ' STP Oil Treatment ' for over 40 years. I do oil changes at 3000 miles and you can still feel the  slipperiness of the STP at the time you change oil.  This is a good thing if you can prevent friction which prevents heat and that is good for engines. You were right in dropping the oil pan and checking the screen. Glad you had a cheap fix... John Lehman... CLC# 26365...

Whit Otis, 1188

Amen on the cam bearings, Doug Houston.

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger