News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

replacement carburetor?

Started by Jedi, March 21, 2013, 12:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi

1963 series 62 convertible w/390
whats the best carburetor to replace the rochester 4GC? I'm looking for a direct bolt on replacement if possible.

Dan LeBlanc

Closest thing to a direct bolt-on is an Edelbrock.  Works great if you have a Carter on there now as you can unbolt the linkage for the TV rod and bolt it on the Edelbrock as it is just a knock-off of the Carter with cheaper internal components.

Authenticity aside, if you're looking for an exact bolt on, you're pretty much married to the Rochester.  When properly rebuilt and adjusted, they will give the best performance.  After all, that's what's designed to fit on your car.  Just the right CFM, jets, etc.  An Edelbrock 1406 will be lean in the higher RPM range and the 1411 will be too much CFM (I already asked Edelbrock tech support a few years ago).
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

dadscad

The 63/64 used Carter AFB and Rochester at random. Jason Edge parts out these cars and should have a correct number rebuildable Carter (my opinion a better carburetor). If you are not a member of the 63/64 chapter, please come join us and share your experience with your car. http://6364cadillac.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_invite_net

If Jason does not have the core, others on the site offer parts, too. The Carburetor Shop  in Eldon, Mo has the best most complete repair kit for the Carter I've ever purchased. They should have equal quality kits for the Rochester, too if you decide to rebuild yours.  http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

The Edlebrock will work, but there are linkage issues to sort out and the stock air filter will not fit without adapters of some sort.

Please visit our 63/64 web site and join in on the conversations!

HTH, David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Dave Shepherd

The 4gc can be rebuilt with no issues success, I have done quite a few and although the floats are tricky to get right the rest is routine following the factory specs, with E15 they need to be a little richer.

Jay Friedman

I'd like to second Dadscad's opinion of the Carburetor Shop in Eldon MO.  He now only has the best kits (for any carb), but is a great source of advice.  He apparently doesn't do email, but will freely offer advice on the phone, as he has for me. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

curly

I went the replacement route.  I used an Edelbrock 1406. It was a direct fit, but I did have to modify a few things.
I didn't like the way the transmission linkage fit after installing it, so I had the mechanic who rebuilt the engine swap over the entire linkage from the original carb.
This meant I had to fab a new throttle stop (for the idle speed screw) but it was super easy and installed in minutes. I used a chrome, open element air cleaner assembly since the original wouldn't fit.  I do not believe there is enough room under the hood for the factory air cleaner with an adaptor installed.

I made the switch in Oct of last year, no regrets.  Its nice to have a working accelerator pump too!

T Lewis

Frankvollaro

Would you happen to have a picture of what the linkage looks like on the edlebrock now, mine came with the rochester and I'm trying to figure something out on that maybe finding a donor carter linkage.

toddfrombreck

I am interested in carb replacement as well. I have a 61 series 62 but the engine is a 59 390 with a Carter Carb. I have heard the Holley carbs are easier and less maintenance but not sure about fit. I am not much of a mechanic so I would like the easiest switch over and ease of maintenance . The car does not match so I am not worried about any authenticity etc. I just want to get in and drive. Thank you

TJ Hopland

I think that should have been the Carter AFB?   If so that was a decent carb.  When Carter quit building them Edelbrock bought the design and is still more or less building the same design today.  Many of the parts interchange and kits are still available.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Todd,
The Carter AFB is one of the simplest designed carburetors.  Through use they wear at the throttle shafts and the leaks cause them to perform poorly.  There are several reputable companies that re-bush the shafts and rebuild the carbs to like new performance.  I would suggest going that route.  The Edlebrock carburetors are set up essentially for chevrolets and things like the idle circuit, power piston springs and air flow are not Cadillac correct.  They can be corrected, but it actyually takes more expertise than rebuilding your AFB.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

55 ledsled

I replaced my Rochester with an Edelbrock 1406 and a 2695 carb mounting plate copy on my 54 331. I waited 2 months during the pandemic for the mounting plate and Edelbrock said they will not be making them any time soon so I had to make my own. I called around everywhere and no one had one. All of the websites say they have one but you better ask them if they have one in stock.
The only issue I have had is figuring out the movement of the throttle arm to match for my TV rod. The geometry is different in the swing of the Edelbrock as it is much longer than my Rochester and since the carb is much wider it changes the placement of the TV rod. As far as the carb it has all the correct connections and fired right up perfectly out of the box. I was tired of my Rochester not working well even after a professional rebuild. The edelbrock is a much better carb and has electric choke to boot. Just hook up the electric choke to the pink wire on the ballast resister which if you have replaced points with the electronic conversion the resister should be eliminated as I found out.

55 ledsled

Hey everyone, here is a photo of how I handled the TV rod after I replaced my Rochester with the Edelbrock. Again, the best thing I ever did was to ditch that old Rochester!!

There is a small dimple in the throttle arm that worked perfect for placement of my TV rod. Just drill a hole and put in a small bushing and your good to go. The TV rod movement when moving the throttle is only 1/4" to make it shift, so this worked for me! I made a new plate and drilled hole after hole to get it right to find that this is all I needed to do. You will need to flip the throttle rod to the inner side so that the TV and throttle dont hit each other, and hand-bend the TV rod just a little bit because the Edelbrock is wider than the old Rochester. You can also use the factory return spring.

Also, if you hook the electric choke up to the ballast resistor (pink wire) you will create a ground loop and your car will only fire while you are turning the key to start and as soon as you let off it will die. I ended up going with pointless ignition (worth the money) and added a wire block hooking it up to the pink wire. You can use that pink wire for anything you need to control using the ignition (electric cooling fan, electric choke...).

If you plan to use your original oil bath air filter forget it lol. Too much weight and too many adaptors to get it to work properly. Buy a re-man Caddy air filter for $125 and be done.