News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dunstan Blue 59 Cadillac

Started by Ken Perry's Photography, March 21, 2013, 08:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Perry's Photography

Here is a a pic of a 59 Cadillac 62 series convertible. Thought you guys might like to see it.

Kenneth perry
2 61 CDVs, 63 park avenue, 71 sdv, 77cdv, 78CDV

Blade

Looks like an original ad - thanks!

I wonder if anyone knows why they only made the Eldos and the 62s in convertible but not the DeVilles?

Ken Perry's Photography

I have wondered why they didn't make a de Ville convertible my self. I guess that they just didn't want to come up  with a new name

Kenneth Perry
2 61 CDVs, 63 park avenue, 71 sdv, 77cdv, 78CDV

David Greenburg

also, the 62 series convertibles were already comparable to the de Villes in terms of interiors and features (e.g., standard leather, front armrest power windows)
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

bjorn1230

The Series 62 Convertible became the DeVille Convertible in 1964. Before '64 it still featured the DeVille interior in all leather just to make it confusing (?)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The original intention of the term "DeVille" was to indicate the car was a hardtop body style rather interior appointment. As all Cadillacs became hardtops in 1957, the term "DeVille" began to indicate trim level rather than body style. Therefore calling a convertible a "DeVille" would have been a contradiction of terms. Since the decor of Series 62 Convertible was virtually identical to their DeVille counterparts since 1949 and all closed models became hardtops in 1957, it would've made much more sense to call Cadillac's entry level droptop a "DeVille Convertible" beginning in the 1957 model year.

At this point we can only speculate, but perhaps the Division may have felt the redesignation may have resulted in some confusion. In any case it really would have made much more sense to have held off the renaming to "DeVille Convertible" until 1965 rather than 1964, which would coincide with with major styling change of that year as well as the replacement of the Series 62 with Calais models.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute