News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Sedan DeVille Cardboard Heater Boxes

Started by Mike Connors, March 22, 2013, 11:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Connors

Anyone have suggestions for getting reproduction cardboard heater boxes to fit on a 56 Cadillac?  I've been wrestling with a set for quite a while and not much closer to making them work than when I started.

Eldovert

This is one job I have on the list. Some sort of animal set up house in my ambulance heater boxes . May I ask where you got yours?
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Mike Connors

I've had them for a while now but believe they came from Caddy Daddy.  I see he has them on his website for $145 for the two that go in the kick panel and two for the doors.

They are not a simple fit.  Having trouble getting them in place so that the lower control door moves freely.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

cadparts58

Mike,
   i am taking a1956 Sedan de Ville aparts for parts. I removed the black hard cardboard boxes from the bottom of both heater cores. They are in decent usable shape, just dirty. Is this what you need? If so let me know and I can send pictures. You can email me at fpuma49@verizon.net. If there is anything else you need let me know. Thanx Frank
Frank Puma #10721

Steve Overby

The heater valve on my '56 Eldorado started leaking.  Do you know if yours is good on your parts car? 

Steve Overby #25528

cadparts58

Steve,
  I have the ranco valve. I do not know if it leaked, but it was dry when I removed it. It still has both sensor leads on it. I can not see any breaks in the copper tubes. If you want, I can send you some pictures. Let me know your email and I can send the pictures. Thanx Frank
Frank Puma #10721

Roger Zimmermann

Steve, if you can fin a decent heater valve, let it overhaul it. The rubber seal is more than 50 years old and sooner or later it will leak.
Old Ait Products, among others, can overhaul it.
Regarding the heater boxes in the doors: the repro cardboards boxes are very approximate; I have one pair installed in my convertible. If I remember correctly, I had to modify them to fit.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Rebuilding the Ranco heater valve should be a straight forward process; I’ve done a couple and also share a tech file I’ve created with others which had done the rebuild with no problems.

There are several vendors that sell these boxes, unfortunately they are all reproduction and fitting will not be 100% and as Roger states modifications is require.  :(
J. Gomez
CLC #23082