News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac drive shaft finish

Started by Scot Minesinger, March 25, 2013, 04:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1970 Sedan DeVille 35k miles, removed drive shaft to replace trans shaft seal.  Had the drive shaft cleaned up and balanced.  It cleaned up so nice, smooth metal -no pits.  Anyway while shaft is out and primed, might as well paint it the correct finish.  Did the shaft get installed unfinished (where I would paint it to look like unfinished steel, similar to exhaust system) or was it semigloss black?

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

I have no idea what the original color was, if any, but mine is now Cadillac Dark Blue as is the rear axle.

I have seen remnants of Cadillac Dark blue on rear axles before, so it's likely that was the original color, but decades of use and it's location kind of took it all off on my car.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Since found out that the correct finish is naked steel, the factory did not finish drive shafts.  Will use Eastwood paint to simulate unpainted steel.  The differentials were not blue, black or unfinished only.

cadillacmike68

OK, it's your car... It's good that you are taking steps to keep the rear drive train from getting further worn by the elements.

But you're going to paint it to simulate unpainted metal ???

Does the term over-restoration come to mind?  I read about this in the judging manual.  Of course if your car and mine were identical in every other aspect  I'd lose because mine is not the "proper"  finish or un-finish as the case may be... 

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

76eldo

Eastwood makes that paint for a reason.  If I am reading correctly, the place that balanced the driveshaft primered it?  So Scott knows primer isn't the correct finish, and wants to preserve the look of bare metal, and the driveshaft is out of the car, so I think I would do the same thing. 

GM just left that stuff bare and it would normally have a film of surface rust on it, which while correct, looks a little crappy.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Which is why mine (and the rear axle) is now dark blue. I like blue better than black or "simulated un-painted", and the judges can get as bent up as they want. Like I said, Scott's car is his, and mine is mine.

I think all four rear control arms are now dark blue as well. Don't want those rusting out (had that happen up in NE  :o).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

The drive shaft is out of the car (to get balanced and replace trans shaft seal), painting it is a five minute job, as it is primed ready to go by drive shaft balance entity.  I can't leave it in primer.  No one has ever accused me of over restoring, but thanks - if you see my car on a trailer it has been stolen.

The Cadillac blue will definitely look better than many other colors, I agree.  Since the car has 35k miles on it, and unlike all other cars I own, originality ship has not sailed so trying when convenient to make it look fairly original.

Thanks guys,

Scot

cadillacmike68

Don't leave it primer Scot. Primer is too porous.  Paint it what you like. That area takes a lot of abuse, so by all means protect it. I'm for keeping a car original as well- to a point.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

I never understood why the drive shaft was not painted. This bad habit is now gone, the underside of US cars is more or less as well protected as European or Japanese cars.
I remember, there was an option for export cars to have the drive shaft painted.
On my 3 cars, I never ask and never was interested to know if this was correct: the drive shafts are painted gloss black.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Scot Minesinger

Just got my media blasting and powder coating operation functional and wow powder coating is sure a nice way to go.  Powder coated the rear control arms in black as I change out the rear bushings (taking out one arm at a time, so as not to make re installation difficult).  probably will powder coat most everything that fits in the oven, including exhaust clamp/hangers.  No more waiting 24 hours between coats of primer and final paint, done in an hour and much more durable.  Eastwood even sells Cadillac blue for the engine components.

Would never leave drive shaft in primer, just wondering if it should be black or bare metal color, and bare metal color it is - looks great contrasted against the potentially over restored black under carriage.  Leaving the 35k miles caddy cosmetics alone, factory paint, factory vinyl top (that looks new), and factory chrome.  However, restoring mechanicals and undercarriage to like new or better so it will be as dependable as a 35k mile car should be even if it were two years old.

76eldo

Scot,

Do you have a spare oven or is your Easter Ham going to taste like paint? ::)

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Yeah, i wonder what the wife was thinking. I couldn't get away with that.

I still vote for dark blue, but it's your car , Scott  ;)

Once way back, i boiled some gear oil and paraffin wax for my bicycle chain. I left it on a little too long. Took weeks to get rid of the smell and i had to leave the concoction in the cellar because it smelled so bad.

But that was a great chain lube. Get it hot, dip the clean chain in it, wipe off the excess and good to go for a couple of month of riding. 

Every time i did that my sisters bitched me out.   :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

Got a devoted oven in garage to use