News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2014 Cadillac CTS

Started by Big Apple Caddy, March 26, 2013, 12:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

The new 2014 Cadillac CTS is being officially unveiled today.   Below is one picture.  What do people think?  It looks basically like a large ATS to me.

JVA

I had an '07 CTS-V for years and spent a week in a '10 CTS 3.6l and loved them both. The V was quite fun, but lacked a great deal of polish versus similar-year Germans. It was very much a blunt instrument - silly fast, but nothing about it was thoughtful. The '09+ cars addressed virtually all of it - I have some issues with some of the materials (the silver plastic was an embarrassment), but the polish was there. I'd also note the 2nd gen cars were completely amazing to drive - incredibly accurate throttle and intimate steering. It was almost un-Cadillac-like in how positively good it was. Very easy car to drive fast, despite the 4200lb curb weight.

I am VERY excited about the '14, in no small part due to the introduction of the LF3 - a twin turbo, direct-injected 3.6l V6. It's supposed to be the mid-range engine choice, between the regular sixes and the V, and will offer 420hp and 430lb ft of torque. As with all current-generation turbo motors the vast majority of that torque will surely be available from just off-idle to redline. If they can keep the driving feel of the current generation car and just shore up some of the materials issues and maybe shed a couple hundred pounds they will have an unbeatable winner. If I didn't have my heart set on one of the 550hp CTS-V wagons (used - alas a $70k Cadillac is too rich for my blood!), I'd look really hard at the '14s.

obscuriosity

I doubt it will be any lighter than the outgoing model, seeing as it has grown in size to more accurately compete with the E-class, 5 series, A6.  Before it was kind of stuck in-between classes.

I'll pile on the praise though.  That thing is sharp looking.  Hopefully, some CUE improvements are included as well.  I did not like that interface in the ATS.

JVA

I hope that by finding it a legitimate "home" in the lineup instead of being an inbetweener, they'll be able to accept a higher price point and include some higher-end (lighter) materials. Making a 5er-sized car that's priced below a 3er probably creates some difficulties. Maybe by bumping up the price to actually compete with the 5er they'll be able to bump up the materials, too. The 1st gen car was right in between the 3 and 5 in terms of weight, but the 2nd gen car blew both away. They really need to reel that in a smidge.

R Schroeder

I like the front of it.
Better than past models.
Still take my 78 over any of them.......ha
Roy

The Tassie Devil(le)

What is wrong with these car makers, presenting their new models, now 9 Months before the next year actually starts?

Why can't they get back to the days when a vehicle was released in the year it was actually built, or sold.

Although my '72 Eldorado was built in October 1971, legally it should be a 1971 model vehicle.

With Cadillac showing this car now, in March 2013, it seems stupid to call it a 2014 vehicle

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Series75

Looks like a new Benz.   Tom CLC#6866

Davidinhartford

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130326/OEM04/130329919#axzz2OgxiWKCF

I like it.   Looks like a mix of ATS and XTS.      Best of all it is 5 inches longer than the current CTS.   AND 250 lbs lighter!

however..  The price is expected to rise considerably from $39,990, including shipping, for the base 2013 CTS, partly because of added content and because the CTS no longer will need to be Cadillac's high-volume car, a role that the ATS likely will assume.

Cadillac marketing chief Don Butler says the new CTS will be priced "in the same ballpark" with rival cars such as the 5 series, which has a base sticker of $48,695, including shipping.

"Given all of the significant advantages that this vehicle will have over a 5 series, for instance, I'd be remiss to come in and say, 'Here's a bargain-based price,'" Butler says.

Ken Perry's Photography

They should have started making this one.
2 61 CDVs, 63 park avenue, 71 sdv, 77cdv, 78CDV

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 26, 2013, 06:59:20 PM
What is wrong with these car makers, presenting their new models, now 9 Months before the next year actually starts?

Why can't they get back to the days when a vehicle was released in the year it was actually built, or sold.

Although my '72 Eldorado was built in October 1971, legally it should be a 1971 model vehicle.

With Cadillac showing this car now, in March 2013, it seems stupid to call it a 2014 vehicle

While being unveiled now, I don’t think it's supposed to actually go on sale until closer to the long traditional September/October new car release date. 

However, many Cadillacs in past decades have actually gone ON SALE well before fall e.g. the 1985 DeVille and Fleetwood in April 1984, the 1982 Cimarron in May 1981, the 1976 Seville in May 1975, and I'm sure there are other examples.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: David Smith on March 26, 2013, 07:44:28 PM
The price is expected to rise considerably from $39,990, including shipping, for the base 2013 CTS, partly because of added content and because the CTS no longer will need to be Cadillac's high-volume car, a role that the ATS likely will assume.

I see the 2014 CTS as being more like a replacement for the STS than the CTS from a size and price standpoint.  Hopefully it will see much better sales than the STS did especially in its latter years!

Rich S

The Standard of the World reigns again . . . check out the video of this outstanding third generation 2014 CTS:

http://www.ustream.tv/Cadillac

or a shorter image only video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqdUH-xQzS4

Though I only just watched the first twenty minutes of the video, I'm quite impressed by this vehicle! It is great to see the class leading technology, the leadership in styling (especially the proportions) and the return of eight interior color selections! I am anxious to see this car in-person when it goes on sale next fall!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 26, 2013, 06:59:20 PMWhat is wrong with these car makers, presenting their new models, now 9 Months before the next year actually starts?

While intros this early are not the norm, they have occurred wall into the past, going back to the mid 1960.s For more than 50 years the new year models have been introduced in Sep-Oct of the preceding year, and production usually started in the late summer.  Your 1972 Eldorado is good example.

I will accede, however, that making a too early introduction often has the ill-desired effect of curtailing sales of the current model while buyers wait for the new model to become available.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on March 26, 2013, 08:34:49 PM
I see the 2014 CTS as being more like a replacement for the STS than the CTS from a size and price standpoint.  Hopefully it will see much better sales than the STS did especially in its latter years!

The last gen STS was, and is a better car than the CTS, especially a NorthStar powered STS. I'm still fuming over it's removal from the lineup, not as much as I'm still frosted over the loss of the Fleetwood (18 years ago!), but still fuming nonetheless.  >:(

Cadillac and GM, seem to have a penchant for doing this. finally get a car right, then ditch it.....
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Davidinhartford

In my opinion, the STS lost its' way and its' customer base.   In its' final incarnation the styling was not appealing as the CTS or even the DTS.    All the right Cadillac cues were there, they just didn't fit well.   The interior seemed too bland and turned off traditionalists.

To me the best Seville and STS were the 92 restyle.

Davidinhartford

Oh, and the 1989-91 STS was well received too.   Well, for its meaner stance than a stock Seville plus a boat load of real wood inside.   It was also the first attempt by Cadillac to start climbing out of the weak horsepower years.   One small step at a time.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 27, 2013, 04:56:26 AM
The last gen STS was, and is a better car than the CTS, especially a NorthStar powered STS. I'm still fuming over it's removal from the lineup, not as much as I'm still frosted over the loss of the Fleetwood (18 years ago!), but still fuming nonetheless.  >:(

Cadillac and GM, seem to have a penchant for doing this. finally get a car right, then ditch it.....

Sales of the last gen STS started decently at 33,000 units in 2005 but dropped significantly each year.   Customers seemed to be giving up on the car before GM did.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: David Smith on March 27, 2013, 07:56:46 AM
Oh, and the 1989-91 STS was well received too.

Ah yes, when Cadillacs still had Cadillac prices.  The base price of the 1989 Seville STS (about the size of the 2013 CTS) was around $36,000 which converts to over $67,000 in 2013 dollars!

cadillacmike68

Quote from: David Smith on March 27, 2013, 07:52:01 AM
In my opinion, the STS lost its' way and its' customer base.   In its' final incarnation the styling was not appealing as the CTS or even the DTS.   All the right Cadillac cues were there, they just didn't fit well.   The interior seemed too bland and turned off traditionalists.

The 1992 re-style was ok, I actually liked the Seville look, but not the Eldorado of the same time. But the 1992s and some 93-94s still had the 4.9L throttle body injection V8, no NorthStar, and they were all FWD. The earlier ones (1989-91) were way too small.

As for size comparisons b/w the 90s and 2000s, all CTSs and the 2004-11 STS had a longer wheelbase than the 1992-2003 Sevilles, but were shorter overall. The trunk took most of that hit.

I think the last gen STS was better looking than the 2003-07 CTS, but the 2008-13 CTS looked better up front, while they looked about the same to me in the rear. I've and both gen CTS, the STS and even a 90s era Eldorado (but it was a convertible!) So i am familiar with all of them as far as the interior, exterior, and drivetrain is concerned. 

I don't think you ever drove a Platinum Edition STS, which had a much better interior than any other Cadillac of the past 30-40 years. Yes, the regular STS interior was not quite as nice as the 2008 & up CTS, but the Platinums were on an entirely different level. Couple that with an RWD Northstar, and it's road trip time.  8)

The photo is a 2008 CTS Premium AWD on the left and a 2009 STS Platinum RWD on the right.  If that CTS was an RWD and didn't constantly lose air due to wheel casting porosity issues, we'd still have it. 

Lastly, it is its, not its' above.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Andrew Armitage

Cadillac is inching back up on the prestige scale. I say they are doing a great job and their price points are justified. The new CTS is much more attractive than its predecessor. A nice XTS tops $60k and the restyled 2014 Escalade is rumored to be well into the $90k range, well equipped, which is about an $8k increase at the top end. In the professional livery world, Cadillacs are now commanding a premium over Lincolns and Carey International just ordered 150 XTSs (https://www.limodigest.com/IndustryUpdates/0313/iu-0313-Carey-International-Chooses-Cadillac-XTS.html) when a few years ago, Cadillacs were all but gone from the livery industry.
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
1941 67 Series
1966 Fleetwood 75 Series
1985 Seville
1991 Eldorado