News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How do you remove steering wheel & horn wire 1941?

Started by steve340, March 27, 2013, 09:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve340

I know how to get the nut off and use a puller but the horn wire has a big spring on the end. How do I remove the spring and the horn wire?

Doug Houston

1)My steering wheel puller has a jaw that by-passes the horn wire.

2) If you want to change the horn wire in the steering column, you need to remove the brush contact on the steering column jacket in the engine compartment. The stranded wire is soldered to the slip ring inside the oval hole in the steering column jacket. Clean out the solder hole in the slip ring, and solder a new insulated wire in nthe hole. Then, replace the brush contact.

Once this is done, solder the old horn contact to the new wire, and re-assemble the steering wheel.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Chris Cummings

Steve,

The big spring should pull off easily.  Put that aside, and the brass button on the end of the horn wire is small enough to let you remove the steering wheel while leaving the horn wire in place.  Unless you need to replace the horn wire and button, I would leave it alone. 

If you can get a steering wheel puller that doesn't want to push down on the steering shaft to remove the steering wheel, you should be okay.  One that bolts to the holes in the wheel hub and uses a slide hammer to do the pulling should work.

Hope that helps,

Chris Cummings
CLC 20072

Chris Cummings

By the way, Steve, Doug Houston knows practically everything there is to know about '41 Cadillacs.

Chris Cummings

Jay Friedman

An article in the newsletter of the Forty Niners Chapter of the CLC explained how to remove a '49 steering wheel using a pair of "washer-head" bolts and a round file instead of a steering wheel puller.  This method completely does away with the possibility of damaging the horn contact and, additionally, saves you the trouble of buying a puller.  I'm not familiar with '41 steering wheels and horn contacts, so don't know if the info in the article would apply to a '41, but I'd be glad to email the article to anyone who wants it and you can judge for yourself.  Email me privately at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

steve340

I got the big spring off but I had to spread it apart because it was around the back of the horn wire rivet. Is it suppose to be on the back of the contact rivet or just sitting on the front of the horn wire rivet?

Chris Cummings

Steve,

I only ever saw the spring slipped over the front head of the brass button.  That's three '41 steering wheels I've seen in my checkered career.   Isn't there a fiber sleeve that keeps the little button/rivet from contacting the steering shaft?  I seem to remember that there was such an insulater, that something happened to mine, and that I had to replace it with a piece of a plastic eye-dropper tube.

Ah, the fun we have with these cars!

Best,

Chris Cummings
CLC 20072

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If you don't have a puller, boinking the underside of the wheel spokes with a rubber mallet first one side and then the other will usually get it loose.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

steve340

I got the wheel off but the big spring on the end is the problem. I had to bend it to get it off the horn wire. Is it suppose to be attached to the horn wire or just pressed up against it?