News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Bendix or Delco-Moraine?

Started by Edward Kenny, March 28, 2013, 07:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

My 1962 CDV does not have the original master cylinder/power brake booster unit. Is there a way I can find out what braking system my car was delivered with?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

quadfins

None that I am aware of. They were installed interchangeably - whatever was within arms reach at the time, I guess. Like with the carburetors, with no special or specific fittings.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

IIRC- Bendix brake booster was painted black; the Delco unit was cadmium plated. Some aftermarket manufacturers may have followed the same color scheme.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

quadfins

Eric - you are correct about the finish.

jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dan LeBlanc

Your build sheet wont indicate Delco or Bendix just as Carter and Rochester carbs wouldn't be either. If you plan on being judged, I would think that as long as you have a 1962 unit under there, you'll be fine for authenticity.

The other way to tell the difference between Bendix and Delco units is Bendix units had four bolts on the master cylinder where the Delco had two to hold it to the booster. I've seen way more Delco units on these cars then Bendix, so if you want to go with the odds, go for a Delco.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Coupe Deville

What type of booster is this? It is on my 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible. Delco or Bendix? Any help is appriciated. Thank you.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

quadfins

That looks like a 1962 Bendix.

The shop manual has good illustrations of each.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Coupe Deville

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on March 30, 2013, 06:56:48 PM

[The other way to tell the difference between Bendix and Delco units is Bendix units had four bolts on the master cylinder where the Delco had two to hold it to the booster. I've seen way more Delco units on these cars then Bendix, so if you want to go with the odds, go for a Delco.]

This would make it 100% sure it was a Bendix correct? Thank you for the quick responses.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"