News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 exterior stainless window trim removal

Started by VooDoo, March 30, 2013, 01:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDoo

What is the easiest way to remove the stainless trim that goes around the side windows on the exterior. I believe it just pushes into place but I don't want to start puling it to get it off and mess it up. Is there a tool? Thx
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

Paul Phillips

Andy
Not sure if your car was done like my 60 Special, but if so it is almost crimped over a steel form on the body. I had an old timer say he used to remove with a bottle opener!  Not so sure about that, but I popped mine off using a piece of a paint stir stick as a tool and tapping with a hammer. Start at one corner, place the wood tool on the inside edge of the trim, and start tapping it out and away from the body. After you get a few inches released, the rest should essentially peel off.

Good luck!

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

VooDoo

Mine is attached with little square type clips with prongs.  I was thinking about trying to get something underneath it to pry it off but wasn't sure what to use and not damage the paint. Thanks
Andy Fulenwider

harry s

Andy, You can get a trim removal tool set from a number of places. This one is from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html
Also it is a good idea to go along the top and bottom edge of the trim piece with masking tape before trying to remove it. Good Luck, Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

VooDoo

That is a good idea. Could save the paint when frustartion of removal sets in ;D
Andy Fulenwider