News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

48 grab handles

Started by dan48, April 02, 2013, 12:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan48

My 48 club coupe ( 6207) has interior grab handles mounted on the post that allow back seat passengers to pull themselves up and out. They are a rather stiff , rubber belt , that is upholstered. They appear to be original. The edging material is faded and frayed. I'd like to restore them as close to original as possible. Local shops are struggling with what edge material to use in order to get a clean non- fraying edge. Another issue is sewing through the rubber so close to the edge.  Anyone done this ? Have any insight ? Dan48
Dan Lough

49caddyman

Dan:  Give the folks at LeBaron Bonney in Amesbury, Mass. a call.  When I restored my '49 club coupe back in '05 they did both of mine, & they're perfect.  I believe they have the correct material, or very close to it, to "recover" your originals.  Joe Cutler

dan48

Thanks, I associated them with material and kits, rather than custom work. Wrong. Sample materials are on the way. The price is a bargain compared to floundering around with a local upholstery shops. In addition, they are nice, helpful people. Thanks again.
Dan Lough