News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Polishing old chrome

Started by Makandriaco, April 02, 2013, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makandriaco

Hi again,

I have been searching the internet for this topic but there are a lot of different opinions, some dramatically different and opposed. So far, I have concluded this:

1) Use aluminum foil (shinny side out) with water (many recomend using coke instead) to eliminate the rust pits and chemically polish the surface (here's a scientific explanation of this: http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html).

2) Top it off with a high-end chrome polish. Here is where I have the most doubt, since I have not seen anyone recomend one specific brand, I can only read "do not use ammonia based polish", "avoid sodium hydroxide", "no mother or turtle wax" but I would like to know what to "YES".

3) Coat it with a chrome sealant to protect it.

But after all, I have seen better advice on this forum for other things so I am thinking someone here must have a complete solution.

Note: My chrome is not that bad but it is over 50 years old.

Thanks in advance...
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

Ken Perry

I use fine steel wool with chrome polish in it to shine a Cadillac that hasn't been shined in years. Then wax to protect. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Makandriaco

Thank you Ken, but I have read a few posts advising against using steel wool, some very passionate about it.  Don't know, what does anyone else think?

Always loved Cadillacs.

Gene Beaird

Maybe brass wool?  I know steel wool can break off, and if the chrome is pitted, or cracked, small chunks of the steel wool can hide in these crevices and lead to just more rust in just a little time. 

I've wondered the same question you originally-ask.  The bumpers on our 68 have enjoyed many years of being exposed to the elements and not cared for.  There's some corrosion, looking like it's to the copper underlayment (blue-green color), but I've wondered what I can use to spruce it up a bit, but mostly protect it from additional damage until I can save up and get time to get them re-chromed.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

phildeville@cox.net

I use 00 fine bronze wool.

Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

R Sotardi #11719

If there is little pitting try Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend. Then wash, dry and polish with Wenol Ultra Soft ( in a tube). Simi Chrome & Maas is good also. Amazon sells them. Ron

Jason Edge

It depends on the condition of the finish.  If it is quite weathered and oxidized, and has minor to moderate pitting already starting nothing beats 0000 Steel Wool soaked in WD40.  I've been parting 63 & 64 cars out for 17 years (39 cars and counting) and can often bring pretty bad looking old chrome back to a nice luster.   I also used this to lightly go over anodized grills and has the same cleaning properties.   NOW THE WARNING AND IT IS COMMON SENSE: You do not go over new or like new chrome with steel wool, EVEN 0000 STEEL WOOL, as it will dull the finish.  Again, it depends on condition. If a bit rough and weathered, 0000 steel wool and WD40 will work miracles.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadillacmike68

I use mothers chrome polish and have not had a problem with it in 15 years. It has polymers in it to help with UVs, which Boyds does not have. I also use it on all my stainless steel to good effect.

Do not use it on aluminum.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

N Kahn

Bronze wool is the best, boat shops carry it.

aod92

What are you guys using to clean the grill? The grill on my 70 Deville looks so dull

Makandriaco

Quote from: aod92 on April 03, 2013, 08:02:09 PM
What are you guys using to clean the grill? The grill on my 70 Deville looks so dull

Yes, that was my next question. Because it is not Chrome. Some different method must be used to bring it to life.

Always loved Cadillacs.

tuolumnejim

NEVR-DULL, this stuff is magic on rusty chrome. http://www.nevrdull.com/

ninosdad

000 bronze wool from a marine store and use clean new motor oil to lube the wool, kind of like wet sanding. After wipe with solvent before waxing, I've used Mother's wax and been happy...000 (triple ought) bronze wool is much finer than steel wool  which will scratch and then rust.
Don Fernandez

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

66 Eldo

Quote from: ninosdad on April 06, 2013, 02:50:57 PM
000 bronze wool from a marine store and use clean new motor oil to lube the wool, kind of like wet sanding. After wipe with solvent before waxing, I've used Mother's wax and been happy...000 (triple ought) bronze wool is much finer than steel wool  which will scratch and then rust.
[/i][/b]

So does bronze wool use a different grading system than steel wool? You mention that #000 bronze is finer than steel wool. Do you mean #0000 grade steel wool? I would think the grading system would be the same for both bronze and steel to avoid confusion.