News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Fin Lens Body

Started by Hayden P, April 02, 2013, 09:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayden P

As part of my ongoing restoration on my 60 Coupe deVille... I have encountered an issue I hope you can all help me with.

The tailfin lens body is pitted and needs rechroming. I have new lens, gasket and globe... but how do I remove the actual globe enclosure, so I can send it off to the chromers. threaded bolt is also very difficult to remove...

I have enclosed pics so you can see what area I am talking about.

Thanks.

The Tassie Devil(le)

As far as the light socket goes, it is crimped into the housing.

Not impossible to remove, but you could end up destroying it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Hayden P

Bruce ... So ... Any tip on how to remove it .... My metal needs rechroming.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have a chat to the Chrome Plater as I believe there is a product that can be used to stop any area being chromed.

I know that threads can be protected, so there is no reason why the socket can't be protected.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

Bruce is correct . It is crimped down on the outer edge. Chroming it will possibly damage the conductivity or the tension of the springs so best to remove it. I did remove my similar seat ones by carefully prying the edge up and then pushing the body back thru. U may have to sort of bend the edge over and inwards without also doing too much damage to the flange. Remember  to always point the knife away from yourself and towards your mate.
    The chrome plater can easily tape up the threaded screw, so just leave it in . If he doesn't it tape it it will fill up the threads and you won't get the nut on. So make sure to tell him . Seems obvious but tell him anyhow.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Grant Owen

Use Heat Shrink end caps over the outer , use plasticine in the socket.
Be sure after every process that these areas are rinsed well with water.
Are you stripping these to Base, or just stripping the Chrome if stripping to Base you will have to be extra careful of these areas.
Be careful your Platter does not just load them up with lots of copper to cover the pits as they probably wont fit afterwards.
Any pits should be Silver Soldered always test fit after Coopering before you Nickel & Chrome.
I hope this helps.

Hayden P

which part are you saying I should try and pry up...

unless someone has perfect chrome light enclosures I can buy !

Quentin Hall

Good advise from Grant also but I still see dramas with the chromers giving you the result you want. Everytime I tell my palters how I want something done they do the opposite. The first pic shows the edge (Looking at the side the bulb goes in) that is crimped over. If you carefully get a blade in where the gap is you can work the rim up. try not to stretch it too much so you need to be gentle. 
Like I said I have done it before and got it apart and got it together again and it worked ok. Take everyones advise and  go  skin your knuckles. . . .   
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Hayden P

okay...after bending two knives & two screwdrivers ...I have given up... whatever type of SUPER copper that is crimped over edge... it wont budge...

any other ideas ?

I am ready to put a bomb under it !!!!!!!!!!

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think you will find it is plated steel, or Brass.   Definitely not soft Copper.

Check it with a Magnet.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe