News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Cad power window circuit breaker

Started by Tomoldcars, April 02, 2013, 11:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomoldcars

While running up the windows for the last rain, the driver’s door inside door lock rod moved over and jammed the window. I now have 4 dead windows. The wiring diagram I have for the 60S doesn’t show the windows but the one for the 57 Eldo does. The Eldo diagram shows a 40A circuit breaker for the motors and a 5A CB for the “power lid circuit”. My guess, that’s the convert boot. I suspect that a 40A CB exists somewhere under my dash and it’s hiding well. So, questions;

1: does the 60S use a breaker for the windows?
2: where is it?
3: is it a thermal breaker that should automatically reset?
4: is there another possible cause of 4 dead windows?

I find that my body no longer conforms to the head under the brake peddle, legs on the seat back position as well as it did a few years ago. I hope someone can point me in a direction that will limit my under dash pain.
Thanks all and happy Cading,        Tom     

J. Gomez

Tom,

Answers below;

1: does the 60S use a breaker for the windows?
Yes, the 40A is also shared with the electric seats circuit.

2: where is it?
It should be inside the left (driver) side kick panel, both CB should be there.

3: is it a thermal breaker that should automatically reset?
Yes once the short is removed, if the short still present it would trip again. However with age these could go bad once they are trip and never reset.

4: is there another possible cause of 4 dead windows?
If you have electric seat you could check if they are working, if they are a possible cause would be an open 12V feed to the window main switch. The best way would be to remove the wire at the CB and test for shorts or open, and the CB.

I’m attaching a generic 1957-58 GM window diagram for reference.

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082