News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wrapping tubing lines

Started by jst, April 05, 2013, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jst

Hi
Has anyone wrapped (insulated) any steel tubing lines in the older Cads ? If so, what did you use ? I am trying to insulate my line that goes from the manifold to the choke and trying to keep the heat IN the line so that it will open the choke a little faster.  Thanks    Joe T
CLC #27640
USMC  63-68
1953 Cadillac series 62 COUPE

Walter Youshock

Not positive on the '53 but my '57 has a braided asbestos covering on the stove pipe.  It is original to the car and it was used for many years when the choke stove was part of the exhaust manifold.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Gene Beaird

Like Walter, I too remember seeing that asbestos wrap on the stove coil heat supply tube on some of our older cars.  I doubt you'll be able to put your hands on one, though.  I have used DEI heat wrap products before with good success:

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/design-engineering-inc

I suspect for the tubing you describe, one of their spark plug boot covers would do the trick, and not look too bad.  You can order their products from Summit, Jegs, and some local parts houses (our O'Reilly's stocks it). 

HTH.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Walter Youshock

It's actually braided into a tube.  With all the heat in the area, asbestos is probably the best option.  I'd check with Chevy parts suppliers.  They seem to carry just about every part.  I have found some in junk yards that haven't frayed beyond use.  About how long is the one you would need?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

dadscad

The last time I bought that braided insulation, years ago, I got it at either Napa or a Bumper to Bumper dealer.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille