News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Re-wiring my 60 CdV

Started by Hayden P, April 07, 2013, 12:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayden P

As my restoration continues - I am contemplating re-wiring the Kaddy.

I have seen great reviews on American Autowire... Has anyone used this product ... Or are there better / more appropriate wiring harnesses. I am not doing a 100point concours ... So not fussed about originality.

Quentin Hall

Heyden, You probably need to look at staying with a 60 harness otherwise you will have the dilema of the replacemnet harness needing multiple changes to suit and with most auto elecs charging $80/100 ph you can easily come off second best very quickly. Why don't you just sit down with your old harness and a test light and a wiring diagram and replace the broken wires with same colour wire and retape it ? You will be surprised that a few "free" hours will achieve a lot. A new harness will be $2000 up.   Have a talk to Paul at Vintage Wiring Harnesses in Vic. He is reasonable and there close. I knew he cleaned up a mate's 59 Eldo harness so he may have a wiring jig.   
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Grant Owen

Hayden, repair you loom like Quentin says, the terminals are easy to get & you can clean the connectors easily. If you use anything after market or custom will result in endless nightmares frustration & extra expense.
Do not alter change the Resistor wire ( The White wire that is joined to the yellow wire going to the Coil ) if you change this or alter it use an external resistor.

Hayden P

Thanks guys. Any tips on best places to get new terminals to suit ?

I have shot off an email to Vintage Wiring to ask about their services.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can tell you that Holden Spare Parts in Australia doesn't stock the replacement male and female inserts any more, but I think they may be available through Ashdown.

Talk to your local Auto Electrician, and they may be able to assist.

One thing I do is try and pick up all the pre-80's wiring looms from Holdens and other GM vehicles I see in the Wreckers, and strip the looms down for the wiring.

This way, I get the correct Colour Coded wiring, terminals and plastic covers for a myriad of uses later on.   These parts are especially handy when repairing bad wiring, and doing RHD Conversions.

It is easy to repair a damaged wire in a loom by stripping it back, joining the replacement wire, with the original terminal, and then hiding the joint within the wiring wrapping.   In most cases I join by soldering, then individually wrap the joint before completely wrapping.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

Tryw www.wiringharnesss.com - you can get everything from the dash forward for a reasonable amount in the correct colour coded wiring.  If you need a dash harness, you need to send them your original fuse box and bulkhead connector.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

60eldo

I just went through what you are going through,,I have a spare 1960 harness if ur interested, front to back, let me know if that helps
Jon. Kluczynski

Hayden P

60Eldo. I am yet to pull mine out fully. Just out of interest - what condition is yours in - and how much would you want for it ? Just looking at all my options. Need to cost em all. Thanks !

curly

I used american autowire to rewire my 59 Chevy truck. It was a dedicated kit, not a generic.  I did option it out with connectors for a more modern steering column. I  have also used painless wiring for some other projects.  American Autowire is hands down the better option. A little more $$, but very complete and terrific instructions.

T Lewis