News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 CDV steering gearbox question

Started by Hankk17, April 07, 2013, 12:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

anyone know for what reason would a brand new steering box would be spraying power steering fluid from the plate that covers the "box" part of the steering box whenever I turn hard left or right?

Thanks!

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

Scot Minesinger

You write "brand new", is it re-built or just recently manufactured?  Possible explanations:

1.  Faulty re-build
2.  Faulty manufacture (made in China?)
3.  If NOS, seals dry rotted
4.  Bad connection of power steering hoses to pump
5.  Strain on gear, ie. bad alignment of column to gear

Since it is new to the car, sounds like you may have a remedy in the warranty.

Good luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Alan Harris CLC#1513

There is a pressure relief valve in a power steering pumps which is closed in normal operation but which opens to relieve pressure when the steering is turned to the lock.

If this valve fails in open position, power assist goes away. If it fails closed, the high pressures generated when the steering is turned to the lock can rupture hoses or break welds in a pump. I would imagine that it could also blow out gaskets in a steering box.

Before you start taking out the box, I would check the steering pump pressure with a guage.

Hankk17

could excessive pressure be an indication of a problem with the power steering pump itself?  It seems to me that this is the situation (too much pressure) - when the wheel is turned hard left or right I can definitely hear the pump straining and see it spraying on the exhaust manifold from somewhere around this plate.  I can't get underneath to pinpoint the precise location..  and this is a "new" pump as installed by a chain shop here in MA.  I'm taking it back to them but want to have more knowledge on my side so I know what to tell them to do.

I've been pouring over the manual and haven't found anything that describes this behavior either, which is frustrating.. but in the exploded views I see there's what looks like an adjuster on the center of the plate.  Does this double as a pressure relief valve as well?

Wherever you go... There you are