News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'47 Fleetwood - Both rear doors stuck shut, help!

Started by MartinC, April 08, 2013, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

Both my rear doors are stuck fast in the locked position. The locking knobs will not rise even with brute force.

Any ideas?

How can I remove the internal door panels without wrecking them?

MartinC

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Martin: How long has the door been stuck or how long since you had the door open? If the locking knob is all the way down then the handle should turn down but it will not open the lock. I am going by that assumption and probably have some rust or dried crud under some of the moving slides that need to move to open the locking knob. Picture #1 shows the moveable lever which is what slides up and down when you push down or pull up on the locking knob. Picture #2 shows another moving slide as well as Picture #3 which all need to move up or down with the locking knob.

Get a can of 10-40 or another solvent with a delivery tube and then unscrew the locking knob off, liberly apply the solvent as best you can to the inside of that lock as shown by picture #4. Let it soak for 24 hours and see what happens. Try it and see if it has loosened the slides to open. If not try again with the solvent and all the time you are doing this keep saying " Yes old cars are fun"  between beers.    Hope this helps      Bill

Martin Michaels

Martin,my First question would be, are the out side handles sloppy? If so there is a Flat spring that if broken will not let the look button move. If you can wiggle the handle while pulling up on the lock button,if the lock button pulls up, get the outside handle level and let go, if that works the spring is broke and will need to be replaced. Good luck.

Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

MartinC

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I can't dribble oil down from the button to the lock as they are on opposite ends of the door.

Each side is slightly different. On one side, when the internal handle is operated, the external handle moves with it.
On the other side, the internal and external handles move independently of each other.
The outside handles are sloppy yes.

Any combination of wiggling etc. seems to do nothing.

I've removed the inside window surround today and managed to hook a wire under the thin horizontal lock operating rod. I thought pulling it up that way should work. For some reason, it does not.

Aargh!

I have the back seat out, and three screws removed from the side arm rests but the armrests still won't budge. Where is the rest of the fixings?
I can't prise the door panel away with the armrest in place.

MartinC

So how do I remove the door panels?

Firstly I need to remove the winders but can't see how they're held on. If it's by those horse-shoe shaped wire clips I can't see them let alone remove them!

Bill Ingler #7799

The winders are held on to the stud from the window transmission by the horse shoe clip. These clips hold the winders /inside door handle to the stud and are removed by inserting the tool that looks like a large pair of pliers. When you close this tool it grips around the clip and you just turn clockwise and it slips the clip off the shaft. Push in on the escutcheon plate which surrounds the handle and you will see the clip. Here are some pictures which should help. Finding the tool might be a problem. I see them on ebay and maybe someone will post as to where you can buy beside ebay.     Bill

Steve Passmore

I don't know exactly what your arm rests look like but usually combined  panel arm rests have fixing screws hidden by the material, you have to lift the material from the bottom and they will be up under there somewhere, then the panel probably has to side up and off some type of fixing.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

MartinC

Ah, I know those clips from working on old Vauxhalls for years. Typical GM. I've always got away with a thin bent screwdriver but not sure I can manage that with those sprung loaded surrounds. Maybe I'll look for a tool. There is a simpler sort that is just a thin plate with a space cut out.

Photo attached showing the armrest and the fixing screws currently removed.

Also photo of the old girl.

TonyZappone #2624

IF the 47 is like my 41 60S, the fasteners are under the car, holding the arm rest assembly on. 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Richardonly

I can't dribble oil down from the button to the lock as they are on opposite ends of the door.

Each side is slightly different. On one side, when the internal handle is operated, the external handle moves with it.
On the other side, the internal and external handles move independently of each other.

Agreed that the locking mechanism is to the rear of each door.  Trying to move the button (or force it) will only bend the rod going to the mechanism.

I would TRY spraying the WD-40 down from where the window meets your door frame, maybe even using a coat hanger to direct the drops in different spots, where you assume the mechanism to be.  I would also spray between where the door ends and the rear quarter begins to hopefully lube the door jam parts.

I would NOT use any force on the button, but wiggle it up and down until it loosens up.  If you bend the rod, there will be no choice but to remove the door panel, which looks like it will cause it damage.

Best of luck!

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

gary griffin

I believe your car has the childproof rear door locks, and if so I would disable them when you finally get the doors open unless you usually carry small children in the car.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have a new KD #430 door handle clip removal tool $16 shipped.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

MartinC

Thanks Jeff, I just ordered one yesterday, Sykes-Pickavant looks the same though.

Just need it to hurry up and arrive now.

MartinC

Update:

Armrest removed. Method - pull.  ;)

There are two steel spikes that locate into holes near the door. They just push in to locate the armrest then the screws fix it down. They were reluctant to leave home after 66 years though.

MartinC

Update - One door open. No need to remove door panel.

With quarter light winder and window frame removed the Dynoc panel lifted up enough to get my hand down to the horizontal rod to the lock. Could then pull properly and it opened.

Hopefully the same thing will work on the other door.