News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Slight rust in gas filler tube

Started by 52Cadillac, April 13, 2013, 07:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

When I had the fuel tank gas fill neck tube apart I noticed some corrosion starting to form. On my old motorcycles I would line the gas tank with a coating made for this purpose, but was pricey. I only need to do the fill neck tube, as gas tank is new.. What have you guys used for this? One thing leads to another.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

TJ Hopland

Antique engine people deal with this stuff all the time.  Probably similar to the motorcycle people.   There tends to be a lot of buzz on the forums about various products and how they deal with modern fuels.   In many cases it appears they don't deal with it and the stuff ends up coming loose and causing more serious issues in the rest of the fuel system.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

gary griffin

Possibly some "Heet" once in a while so the moisture is burned out with the gas. There will always be some moisture in a tank because some comes with the gas and some comes from the air that replaces the gas as you use it.

Heet is basically a product you can buy at most auto supply dealers and includes alcohol that absorbs the moisture and mixes with the gas and burns off during combustion.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

52Cadillac

Heet, how often is it used? Wouldn't a good fuel additive cleaner do that as well?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org

gary griffin

Heet simply mixes with the water and the gasoline so it can be burned in the engine. How much to use depends on humidity in your area and how much water is in your gas. all gas contains a minute amount of water which eventually causes problems in the bottom of your tank because it is heavier than the gasoline. I would try a bottle of it and see what happens. If you have a good amount of water it may take more than one application.
Gary Griffin

52Cadillac

Maybe for future. Just installed new fuel tank.
SemperFiFund.org

TJ Hopland

Most gas now days has alcohol in it already.  Ethanol likes to suck up moisture like its relatives.   I don't know that I would want to add any more.   

52Cadillac

Does the grade of fuel we use make a difference in moisture content?
SemperFiFund.org

gary griffin

Yes and the time of the year does also. Summer gas has ethanol which brings water and lots of problems.  If you can find a 100% gas station use it.   l had one  near but it is closing.
Gary Griffin

TJ Hopland

The ethanol rules vary state to state.  One if the more interesting rules is that not all states require vendors to label the fuels that contain ethanol.   You may be getting it now and not know it.   In Minnesota they started using it 20 ish years ago.   Originally it was only in what they called the 'greater metro area' and just the winter months.  At some point they made it state wide,  year round, and in a grades.  I'm thinking that was more than 10 years ago now too.  Groups lead by the Minnesota Street Rod Association went to the state and got them to allow vendors to apply for a special license that would allow them to sell a premium grade fuel without ethanol.  So not every station has it but if they do its premium.   Some stations have both ethanol premium and the non ethanol premium so you really have to look for it. 

Originally there were issues due to the way they were making the blends and cleaning the tanks.  There were cases where people were only getting like 40% gas, the rest was water and alcohol.  Have not heard of that happening lately.  Hopefully the industry learned from the mistakes of the early adopters.  I am told that the blend happens at the local terminal when the tankers get filled that deliver to the stations.  Most areas only have one supply of raw 'gas'.   They take this raw gas and blend it with what ever combination of additives and ethanol the buyer wants.  This is how they get Branx X super gas and Brand Z regular.  Brand X may have a completely different additive package or it could even be the same package as Brand Z.