News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rear Bumper Removal/'76 deVille

Started by kevinanderson, April 15, 2013, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinanderson

Any slick method to remove the nut on the  upper support on the end caps? Do I just double nut the end and back off the inner nut with an end wrench? Replacing the fillers.
Kevin

mgbeda

Basically how you said.  When I did it I got an acorn nut to hold the stud, used a socket on that, and used a crow's foot attachment and extension to turn the actual nut.  Those rubber upper end supports are fragile, so be careful with them.

When I replaced the fillers I found it easier to remove the uprights from the bumper than to remove the whole bumper.  (Sorry if I'm saying something obvious.)  I recall there being two bolts that attach each end.  If the bolts are rusty you can get to the threads (for soaking with penetrating oil) by taking out the side markers.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)