News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wiper/washer

Started by cotterski, April 17, 2013, 08:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cotterski

When the wiper is turned on in my 73 DeVille, the washer is also activated.  Washer will not stop until the wiper is turned off.  Any simple fixes?

Coupedeville

Don't turn the wipers on!! :)

I would assume a 73 has an electric pump and if so trace the wiring from the pump to the switch/button and i'm pretty sure the problem will be obvious.

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

cadillacmike68

Doesn't the 73 have the switch on the driver's door up at the top? If I remember, pushing the wash button automatically slid the wiper button up to low speed on these years. That little area is most likely the cause of your problem. The wires inside the switch are probably stripped or are otherwise crossing.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cotterski

The switch is on the door.  I will try to trace the wiring.  Thanks

mgbeda

I don't think it's wiring.  The way the washers worked on 70's Cadillacs was that pressing the wash button activated a tiny solenoid in the wiper motor which engaged a cam to make the wiper motor run the washer pump.  This would go on for a few seconds, maybe one or two sweeps (I forget), then the cam would disengage.  I'm betting your cam won't disengage, either because it's stuck or maybe there's a return spring that is broken.

But check the wiring first 'cause that'd be a whole lot easier.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

bcroe

Quote from: mgbeda on April 18, 2013, 07:38:56 PM
I don't think it's wiring.  The way the washers worked on 70's Cadillacs was that pressing the wash button activated a tiny solenoid in the wiper motor which engaged a cam to make the wiper motor run the washer pump.  This would go on for a few seconds, maybe one or two sweeps (I forget), then the cam would disengage.  I'm betting your cam won't disengage, either because it's stuck or maybe there's a return spring that is broken.

But check the wiring first 'cause that'd be a whole lot easier.     -mB

Agreed, the same happened to me.  That mechanism was available for replacement, fixed mine.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I believe 73 was a change year for the wipers.  Perhaps that was when the delay was added?   Anyway if it is the style the others are talking about the washer is a piston pump.  I have not had to work on that on my 73 for many years so I am just assuming I am talking about the correct style.  Its kinda a flimsy mechanism when you get a look at em.  Lots of little and plastic parts.    What I remember is there is an arm that is kept in the idle position by a small spring normally.  When the solenoid gets activated it moves the arm so it can engage the cam and it then stays engaged for a full cycle.  When the cycle finishes its supposed to go back to idle.   The pump assembly was sold as a part.  Don't know if they are still made or not.  Its basically the whole cover assembly for the gear box.  In some cases I just took them apart and removed pieces so it could not engage and then went and got a universal electric pump. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason