News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Dash question

Started by Hayden P, April 19, 2013, 05:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayden P

I pulled my dash out... have removed speedo, AC and Heater controls...

however... I cant see how to remove IGNITION, CLOCK and HEADLIGHT switch from dash.

please help....

The Tassie Devil(le)

The Headlight Switch is removed by firstly, removing the pull-out knob, then undoing the chrome bezel with a nice-fitting screw driver.

To remove the knob and shaft, you must first reach in under the dash, and feel for the spring-loaded button that is on the opposite side to the wiring terminals, and press this in, whilst pulling out the knob.   Make sure the battery is disconnected, or the lights will be on, as this operation also pulls out the internal slider to turn the lights on.

Reversal is just a simple matter of doing up the bezel, and pushing in the shaft, after orientating it with the dash light dimmer rotator.

The Clock is a matter of twisting it around whilst pressing it, to unclip it.

The Ignition Switch requires a paper clip, straightened, and inserted in the small hole in the switch chrome, and with the key in place, turn the switch backwards, and it will simply pull out of the housing.   Then with a very wide tool, that contacts the outside edge of the switch, rotate that anticlockwise to undo it.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Hope my memory is still correct.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Hayden P

Thanks bruce. Dash is completely out so should be able to sort it out.

76eldo

The clock may require gentle tapping on the lock ring from the back side of the dash.

Be careful not to rip the dash in removing the bezel.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Hayden P

thanks Brian.... entire dash being re-upholstered anyway... so wont matter.

Ken Perry

I have a ground down set of needle nose pliers that fit the slots on the ignition nut. These also work well for the nuts on the radio shafts.I think there are two different nuts for the light switch,the one without fogs takes a allen wrench.Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Grant Owen

Hayden, If you are going to redo your dash pad before you do anything look at the website www.autoline.se
The best replacement / rebuilt dashes I know of to date.

Hayden P

grant...only problem ... I dont speak Swedish.

Pics look good though. Do you think this dash is too difficult for a normal auto trimmer to handle ?

Grant Owen

Hayden,  you can translate the website by pushing the English button on their website. If you email them they will reply & they do speak English.
I would not give it to a Auto trimmer to do they will Cut & Sew it & it would look terrible.

Hayden P

Thanks for that.

So strip clock, Cadillac plug (cruise control blank), headlight and ignition out first ?

Then mail it to them ?

Any idea on cost ?

While I am writing... How does headlight knob come out ?

Hayden P

Oops.. Didn't read earlier post properly. Headlight knob removal is explained there

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can see that you are overcome with the excitement of getting her done, oh, and spending lots on money.

At least, you can get the dash to Sweden and back by Surface Parcel Postage.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

BUT, you had better check with Australia Post as to the limit on size, as I think you will find that it will not be within the size criteria, so freighting might have to be the way to go.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Hayden P

Bruce ... Unless you have another suggestion - I am open to saving money !

But also want the job done properly and realise a few things are outside my expertise.

eldo59

I know someone from Melbourne that had a 59 dash done locally and they screwed it up. He ended up getting it redone from the guys in sweden and it come up as good as it will ever get. The vinyl they use only comes in black, so they have to paint it the colour you want. Don't know how it will hold up against the elements being painted versus a dedicated coloured vinyl.
Cost $600 to post it there and another $400 to post back plus $1000 to do the dash.
Mauro Bonfitto

Grant Owen

I think they still have a depot in the States what I did I bought 3 cores in the States & got them sent to their depot in the States this saved allot.
It doesn't matter at all about the condition of the foam or covering as all they need is the steel core & the 2 ends, if you do this be sure to send a 60 core as they do differ from 59.
As they make them in a production run you probably would not get back the core you sent.

n2caddies

If you decide to have yours done , i thought the swedes had a warehouse in California. I have an excellent stripped 59 core if they would take that for your core to save shipping one over. Let me know what they value the core and I would be happy to ship mine to them as I'm in California. I promise you do not want a upholster to do it.
Randy
Ranlininc@aol.com
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Hayden P

Randy.... Thanks, but mine is a 60. If you have a 60 dash , I will definitely ask them.

Hayden P

Has anyone used Just Dashes ?

http://justdashes.com/index.html

Seems to use a similar technique to Sweden.

johnregrus

I've seen Just Dashes work on three 1950's Buicks and it was perfect.
I sent them my 1958 Cadillac dash but it's not back yet. Cost is $1200.00 (color matched) plus shipping.
They said it would be 6 weeks but its now been 2 months. I phoned and they advised it would arrive this week.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz