News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Fuel Tank Gas smell

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, April 21, 2013, 08:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    Recently i have replaced my sending unit on my car . I used the standard  rubber gasket  that was supplied with the sending unit . The gas gage works fine  However when i top off my tank i can smell a strong gas smell and actually leaks from what i think is the sending unit but not 100 % sure . I say this only because i never had this situation before i replaced the sending unit .  I am not a big fan of adding a sealer of some kind  with the sending unit gasket for fear it might end up in the tank  and get sucked up into the fuel line .  Also what kind of fitting is used at the outlet feed of the tank . Is it a standard inverted flare or some other type of fitting ?   Maybe it is time for a new tank and I am toying with the idea a buying a new fuel tank and want to cover all bases before i make up my mind .   It would of been nice if they added a access panel in the trunk to service the sender .  Only then could i be sure if it was sealed correctly . or Mayber i should of tested the tank out of the car to ensure the sending unit was sealed correctly .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jeff Maltby 4194

I replaced my 49 sender gasket with cork, which was oem. I coated it and the screw threads with Gasgacinch.

The main fuel rail has a fitting like a wheel cylinder line but your tank line inlet requires a brass bushing to work properly or it will leak, of which I have 2 left @ $30 each shipped. These are for 49-58 tanks only.

Remove the left tire and have a look at where the problem is .
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Jeff ,
   I would like to purchase one of those fittings from you , also Carb USA  in Collingswood NJ rebuilt my Carters for me and told me to use this product  SEAL All .I works very good on threads and fittings thinking it might be good to use on the Sender Gasket as well .  What are your thoughts ? Also where can i purchase a cork Gasket ?  On the other had i can always make one .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Muzza427

Does you gas tank have an overflow / overfill discharge?
Murray Bollen
Mandurah, West Australia
1960 Coupe DeVille
1966 Fleetwood Brougham

Bill Balkie 24172

It has a vent ,but it is not leaking from the vent .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Jeff Maltby 4194

Bill, pm me your address and I'll post it Monday.

I made the cork gasket as was oem and never found any trace of any sealant on the original.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500