News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

12V battery

Started by don berg, April 21, 2013, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don berg

Can some one tell me if I can jump start a 6V 41 Cadillac with a 12V battery? I have been told I can just to get it started and some said I would harm the starter. Please help Thanks dberg

Dave Shepherd

Just jump the starter terminal if possible, 12v could ruin the gages,     the starter is not the issue it is the remaining components in the ign on circuit. Plus after it starts the gen is really not enough to keep the car running if the battery is dead.

TJ Hopland

It was done all the time back when 6 v stuff was still common but most things went to 12v.  Turn off all the electrical stuff you can, especially things like radios.   Don't have the 12v car running, that will give you more like 14v.   With the losses in typical jumper cables and bad connections you won't be getting a full 12v to the other car anyway.  Don't crank too long, it can be hard on a v6 starter.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Louis Smith

I have jumped 6V cars many times with 12 V. I agree with turning off all the lights, radio and accessories. In addition, though, I pull off one lead from the 6V battery terminal and connect the jumper to the free lead. This eliminates the danger of battery explosion when current surges into the 6V battery.

Once the jumper is connected, turn on the ignition and quickly crank the car until it starts. Do not delay or the 12 V could damage the instruments. As soon as the engine starts, disconnect the jumper and jam the lead back onto the 6V battery terminal. If you're lucky, the engine will keep running through this transition (keep the revs up so it will run on the generator during brief time the battery lead is not connected) and you'll be on your way.

don berg

Thanks Guys you have been a big help!  dberg

gary griffin

When I was in the army in Europe I had a cantankerous 1951 Olds 98 which was hard to start but hooking it up to a Jeep with 24 volts made it start immediately.  I would not recommend that but it did work without problems. I wish I had treated it better and still had it, but I can say that about a lot of cars I had when I was younger.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

LeRoy DeVol

Many club members have mentioned that operating a 6volt starter on 12volts will damage it. This is not true, a6volt starter will work better on 12volts then on the 6 volts it was designed for. Back in the day we used 6volt starters on 12volt cars that were hard to start with great success. The reason for this is the fact that the starter winding is heavier & the amps. for 12volt systems is less. I have a 47 cad. converted to 12volts 6 years ago and it starts very quickly with no problems.

Lee DeVol   

Doug Houston

A 6 Volt starter will turn over an engine quickly for a long time. The starting cycle for operating a 6 Volt starter is shorter, because it's operating at a high speed.

Now, for you self-styled engineers, just try cranking out either an empty carb or a bad flood a few times, and tell me that the 6 Volt starter won't be damaged.

Starting motors are designed for a specific voltage, and not a range of voltages. Sure, the car starts quicker on 12 Volts, but the 6 volt starter suffers.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Dave Shepherd

Agreed, but that most likely will take either extended or repeated 12volt usuage.