News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 convertible top pump questions.

Started by Bill Caddyshack, April 23, 2013, 12:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

My 1959 top was moving slowly, and quit going up w/o assistance. I pulled the cover and had a look. THe pump is 11.5 inches long and 3 inches in diameter. It does not fit the original mounting holes which are about 2 inches shorter. The person who installed this pump solved the problem by only mounting the two screws in the hydraulic pump end, leaving the electric motor end to flop around.

I made some new holes, some new grommets. Attached the motor end to the car body. Still did not work well.

So I pulled the plug (screw) to check the level of fluid. It is low and appears to be brake or hydraulic fluid as  it is a sort of very pale  yellow color, not red. it also seems thicker than brake fluid or ATF.

Should I somehow drain and flush the system? Or just add some brake fluid?

How would I drain it? Looks like I would need to pull the cylinders and the pump at the same time.

The pump is noisey, but seems to be spinning well. I guess there is a possibility the pump motor is frelled and I may need another motor.

Quentin Hall

G'day Bill, If it is yellow and viscous like honey then it sounds like hydraulic oil. These are a pain to fill. I used to turn my pump on it's side and use a squeeze bottle with a tube attached. Best having the top raised so the fluid is in the rams but don't over fill it . Sometimes best to top up and then lower and raise top again to get rid of cavitation. . . . and then top up again. . . . but again don't overfill. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz