News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado Convertible - considering buying... input?

Started by Peter Gariepy 26457, April 24, 2013, 12:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gariepy 26457

interior is junk but functional
overall not a bad car. zero rust.  runs, drives and stops well.
top goes up and down (top material is a 5 on scale of 1-10)

whats it worth?

peter

gary griffin

Value is based on perception. Are you looking for a car that could easily be made into a driver or something to restore?

There are guides but your own gut will tell you if it is the car for you. I figure the "Worth" of my cars is immaterial to me and only matters to my children when I can no  longer drive them.

Aside from that is is a minor money pit and If I had the room and it was near to me I would park it in my garage if the price made sense considering the market value and the estimated price to get it into the condition that I wanted it to be in..
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Peter Gariepy 26457

Just looking for a driver/beater.  Dont plan an extensive restoration, simply want to get it into fully drivable condition, put the top down, and enjoy it a few times a week.

FYI:  The asking prices is less than $3000.

TJ Hopland

Interior looks like the only real issue.  Is it damaged?  Or just dirty?  I see people asking a heck of a lot more for less.   Outside looks decent and it does not look like it needs body fillers which most do at this age so that saves a lot of hassle.   Same with the top being decent, that saves a bunch of money.   I see the weatherstrip is rotted pretty bad but its not crazy expensive and if you are thinking 90% top down it won't really matter much.     Seats are likely the same in the hard tops which tend to be in better condition and sell for much less so chances are decent you could find better seats especially since you have the possibility of blue or white. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

If it's really rust free and runs well for about $2000.00 it's worth doing something.

BUT, A top is at least $1000, weatherstripping is expensive, the dash is bad, and if it needs rear fillers it's costly.  And the seats... what happened there... plus no radio at all?

I think if you spend about $5000 you could find a nicer car and have far less hassle.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Did the Cadillac Convertible market tank in the last 10 years?  I paid 3K for my 68, which has some rust on the front fenders (and deck-lid edge), a torn front seat, completely inop climate control, and a not so great repaint - for starters.

And that was 17 years ago.

Or are you just cheapskates?  :P

I'd buy this one unless there was something else seriously wrong with it. Last year of the round headlights. I'd prefer a 71, but beggars can't be choosers.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

76eldo

Mike,

Ebay gives you a good idea of what's going on price-wise.

I'm just saying that at $2,000 plus throwing in another grand or two to make it liveable, you might as well spend about $5,000 for a decent driver.  They are out there...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 76eldo on April 24, 2013, 01:45:56 PMMike,
Ebay gives you a good idea of what's going on price-wise.
I'm just saying that at $2,000 plus throwing in another grand or two to make it liveable, you might as well spend about $5,000 for a decent driver.  They are out there...
Brian

Aha!, maybe I'll buy another convertible when i get home! Don't tell wifey  :-X
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

pinkcaddy96

A cool "land barge"....end of an era....never to come back again...like they say, go with your gut feeling.  You will never regret it!

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Peter,

Seems like a reasonable ca to me, and the price depends on what you really want.

As for the interior, a nice set of cheap seat covers will make it look a million dollars, and don't forget that the seats out of an Eldorado Coupe are interchangeable, and most Coupes have a better chance of useable upholstery than a Convertible that has had the top down and suffered sun damage.

I would have no hesitation in buying it if I needed one, but my own '72 will have to do for me, till I kark it.

The weatherstripping isn't that expensive, and I got mine from Metro.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Caddyjack

Ask them what happened to the original hood? Was it in a wreck? Or did it just get rusted? The hood on it is a '77 or '78.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Alan Harris CLC#1513

1973 and 1974 were both terrible years for cars generally. They barely ran right when they were new, due to the not-yet-perfected emission controls. Their build quality was atrocious. Cadillacs of that era are what drove our upper classes into Mercedes and BMW's.

Even at a cheap price, I think that you can find other cars that are more worthy of your time and effort.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on April 25, 2013, 12:03:24 AM
1973 and 1974 were both terrible years for cars generally. They barely ran right when they were new, due to the not-yet-perfected emission controls. Their build quality was atrocious. Cadillacs of that era are what drove our upper classes into Mercedes and BMW's.

Even at a cheap price, I think that you can find other cars that are more worthy of your time and effort.

While the negatives you pointed out are most certainly accurate, especially with the introduction of the catalytic converter in 1974, and the propensity for quickly rusting.  I think the cars of that era set all time records for sales, with the exception of the 1974 models, which I believe was due to the oil embargo and rapid rise in gas prices. Cadillac set the pace for styling in this era. The 1974 coupe deVilles carried on the Eldorado styling with having non moving rear windows, introduction of hood ornaments etc.  These were eventually used by all manufacturers.  I think that the 70's were one of Cadillacs best decades for styling.

Davidinhartford

I see a money pit.   Even though you just want a driver, the "Might as well" syndrome catches you pretty easy. 

Even though the price is right,  you will easily triple that just getting it up to cruise night standards.

Louis Smith

Quote from: StevenTuck on April 25, 2013, 07:00:30 AM
I drove a 1974 Eldorado in the 70s. It got 8 miles to the gallon in city driving. It may end up costing you more in gas than you pay for the car itself.

1974 was a bad year for Cadillac sales, due to the oil embargo.  Up until that time, most folks that bought Cadillacs weren't all that concerned with gas mileage.  Ironically, it appears as though once we got used to much higher gas prices, Cadillac sales rebounded in 1975.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on April 25, 2013, 12:03:24 AM

Ouch!  :o

but true. 1970 is my cutoff year. I don't like from 1971 thru 1991 because of increasing emissions and then fuel economy strangulation of the engines.

But the early 70s did look nice up through 1974.  The rectangular headlights flat faced front end of 1975 was really a nose dive in styling though, that was not recovered from until 1991 or so.

And yes 74 was the worst year on record for fuel economy in the US auto market. The late 73 arab oil embargo caught everyone flat footed. The 74s were already out, and nothing could be done.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

pinkcaddy96

Gasoline price in 1974, the year I started driving, was .44 /gallon!

Louis Smith

Quote from: pinkcaddy96 on April 25, 2013, 01:40:00 PM
Gasoline price in 1974, the year I started driving, was .44 /gallon!

Not too long before that gas was around 28-30 cents.  .44/gallon is about 50% more then we were use to paying.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Let's put it this way:

The car is free. You throw $10K at it. Will it ever be as nice as the nicest one you can find for $10K? Never in a million years. And it's not free.

I get the "only want a driver" part. Odds are however, (especially being a car guy) you'll soon grow weary of the car's shortcomings; nevermind the most basic repairs, maintenance and running costs- none of which will be cheap. And all that assumes the driveline is guaranteed never to develop a major failure. Should that occur, you're utterly sunk.

Save your pennies. Buy the right one. That you'll never regret.

My 2 cents.

Eric

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute