News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is it true?

Started by Renato, April 24, 2013, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

I read somewhere the 50's Cadillac has airplane engine. It means the steel engine block, and parts the same quality as they used for airplanes. It it true?
R. Bognar

KD

My Auburn has a lycoming engine in it.
I also had a PA-14 (Piper 4 place ) Airplane that uses the lycoming engines
Ken D
CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Philippe M. Ruel

Cadillac automotive engines were cast iron until the Northstar in the 1990s. Most aircraft engine blocks are aluminum alloy. What you heard sounds like an urban legend.

Cadillac flathead automotive 346 ci engines - that is, up to 1948 - were used in light tanks during WWII with few modifications.

During the same period, Cadillac has produced mechanical parts for Allison V-12 engines, used on Lockheed P-38s or Curtiss P-40s aircrafts. But never manufactured aircraft engine blocks or complete engines.

1952 60 Special in France.

Renato

Thank you the correct answer.
R. Bognar

Louis Smith

I believe only Oldsmobile had aerodynamic engines with their rocket 88 and rocket 98 engines.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on April 24, 2013, 03:24:49 PM
Cadillac automotive engines were cast iron until the Northstar in the 1990s.

Just a clarification: Cadillac engines were cast iron until the HT 4100 in 1982 volume models.

The Cadillac cast iron 368 remained in production until the 1984 model year in the Limousine & Commercial Chassis models only. The Limousine had the 368  V-8-6-4 DFI; the 368 4bbl version was used in Commercial Chassis. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

wrench

They did use 2 Buick 425 'Wildcat' engines to start the SR-71...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

cadillacmike68

And Packard built the Rolls Royce Merlin under license for the P-51 C & D models. That engine kicked the sh!t out of the Allison engines (used in the original P-51 B models) every which way.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Walter Youshock

I do seem to recall Cadillac touting their engine machining tolerances were of "aircraft quality".  Can't recall if it was in an ad or some other promotional piece.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 25, 2013, 09:09:02 AM
I do seem to recall Cadillac touting their engine machining tolerances were of "aircraft quality".  Can't recall if it was in an ad or some other promotional piece.

That was mentioned in Pride in the Possession.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

RyanBurman

I always thought that the Cadillac tank engines were neat due to the exhaust coming out on top of the head instead of the bottom. Saw one in a hot rod and it looked pretty cool with the really swoopy headers the guy built.

Walter Youshock

Yep--"Pride in the Possession"  where "only the (industrial) diamond dresses the wheel" to machine "precision Cadillac engine parts". 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Louis Smith

Quote from: Walter Youshock on April 26, 2013, 09:32:10 AM
Yep--"Pride in the Possession"  where "only the (industrial) diamond dresses the wheel" to machine "precision Cadillac engine parts".

Ah, so this is what "Pride in the Possession"  means!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnV-9527s4g