News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Ever here of Qualis / Strauss Center Link?

Started by mgbeda, April 24, 2013, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Folks,

I'm buying up front suspension parts for my '76 Sedan DeVille, hoping to get that assembled in a couple weeks.  I found this listing on ebay for "MOOG DS815 CENTER LINK".  But when I read the listing it says "PLEASE CHECK THE MOOG PART NUMBER HERE TO BE SURE THIS FITS YOUR VEHICLE. MOOG NUMBERS ARE FOR REFERENCE ONLY. THIS ITEM MAY OR MAY NOT BE MOOG BRAND, BUT WILL BE USA MADE QUALITY PARTS."

Later in the listing they say the manufacturer is Qualis / Strauss.  It is the right part number.  My question is the brand.  Ordinarilly I'd avoid a brand I didn't know, but this seems to be the only place to get a new center link; I guess Moog stopped making them. 

Anyone ever hear of, or have experience with, Qualis / Strauss? 

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Is it possible that this was the house brand for R&S Strauss chain of parts stores? They used to be very big in the New York, New Jersey area.

I would ask the seller if it is US made. If it is, I would tend to trust it, since there are not that many manufacturers of suspension parts. If it is Chinese, I would walk away

Hankk17

I got my centerlink for my '76 coupe DeVille at Then and Now autoparts in Weymouth MA.  I'm pretty sure they do mail order.  They have a wide range of stuff too but have typical mom&pop store hours so be aware of that.

Then And Now Autoparts
447 Washington Street
Weymouth, MA 02188
(781) 335-8860

no website that I've ever seen either.

good luck

-Hank
Wherever you go... There you are

Alan Harris CLC#1513

If you Google "Qualis Automotive", you can see their website. It appears that they are a marketing group rather than a manufacturer.

David King (kz78hy)

MB,

I checked Rare Parts and they list a new Center link.  These new, USA made parts and OEM quality.

If the one you have located does not work out, I would be happy to get you one.

You check out their site at   http://rareparts.com/

For a flat fee over whole sale price, I could get you anything they offer.

Let me know if I can assist.

Good luck.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

mgbeda

Thanks to you all.

I just bought a TRW (I've heard of them) center link from Then and Now.  Thank, Hank.  Yes, they do mail order.  And they also have a website:

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

They spent a lot of time with me, and seem like nice people.  Yeah it cost a lot more than the Qualis one on ebay, but after spending years and thousands of bucks on this I'm not going to take chances with some off-brand part.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

Hankk17

huzzah!  I finally helped someone!   ;D ;D 

Yeah, I like Then and Now a ton.  great people.

hope the centerlink gets your car going!

-Hank

mgbeda

Well, the center link plus reassembling it from a bare frame.  :-/

Thanks again Hank

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

Hankk17

bare frame??  post a few pictures when you get a chance.  if you need reference shots definitely let me know.  I have a 76 CDV and a 76 SDV that are pretty solid and complete.  I also have the shop manuals.. but only in electronic form so the pictures/diagrams are murky and very dark.

-Hank

mgbeda

I've started a restoration blog called "The Restoration of Bessie".  Lots of pictures, and excuses, there.

I'm hoping to actually bolt something back on to the frame, for the first time, on Wednesday.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610