News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

"Door handle droop" malady on '49 model 75

Started by 49caddyman, April 25, 2013, 04:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49caddyman

Help!  The driver's side front door handle on my '49 model 7533-X is "drooping".  I'm familiar with this problem, & the possible solutions, on the series 61 & 62 models, but am still learning about model 75's.  Anyone know of a "quick fix"?  Thanks!  Joe Cutler

Louis Smith

Quote from: 49caddyman on April 25, 2013, 04:06:45 AM
Help!  The driver's side front door handle on my '49 model 7533-X is "drooping".  I'm familiar with this problem, & the possible solutions, on the series 61 & 62 models, but am still learning about model 75's.  Anyone know of a "quick fix"?  Thanks!  Joe Cutler

Just be thankful that the owner doesn't droop!   :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jeff Hansen

Hi Joe,

Has the handle been replated?  If so, the portion of the handle shaft that fits in the lock mechanism is now undersized and will likely need a little shimming.  I've successfully used some thin aluminum strips wrapped around the end of the shaft to bring it back to size.

If the handle is original and in good shape, the fix is to replace one of the springs in the lock mechanism as it has lost some of its tension over the years.  The mechanism is easy to remove, but the door panel will need to come off to gain access.  Once the mechanism is out of the door, you can insert the handle into it and the cause of the droop should be readily apparent.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

49caddyman

Jeff: Thanks for the tip!  The door handle is original, & hasn't been replated.  Everything was fine with this door handle until late last year when I noticed it starting to droop.  I'll pull the door panel off & survey the situation when I get the chance.  Is the spring you refer to available new anywhere?  Thanks again, Joe  P.S:  Fortunately, all the other handles are nice & horizontal as they should be (Hope I haven't jinxed myself by mentioning this!)

Jeff Hansen

The springs are available on eBay and at flea markets.  I'm sure the major parts vendors have them, too.  The problem is, there are so many different styles of these springs, it is very easy to get the incorrect one!  Photos or actual samples are helpful when seeking them out.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jeff Hansen

This is likely to be the culprit.  As you can see from this broken example, I had a similar problem in my '42 75.  In my case, the spring broke entirely and the handle would no longer work the lock mechanism.
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Martin Michaels

Hello Joe, I just got one from Eddie Jones I am sure he has more. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White