News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Valve removal 1961 390

Started by Dan LeBlanc, April 28, 2013, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Hi guys

Hopefully someone can explain in layman's terms how the valves come out of the heads on the 390. I can compress the spring with one of those corkscrew style spring compressors but that's it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

rodger

Did you remove the retainer and locks once the valve spring is compressed?
Rodger Craig

Dan LeBlanc

That's the main problem I'm having is that despite how much I can get the whole works to travel with the spring compressed, I can't get the valve up enough to get the locks out at all.

Maybe a sledge hammer will help.
Dan LeBlanc

The Tassie Devil(le)

secret of getting the collets out is to give the spring retainer a sharp hit on the top edge with a copper hammer whilst holding the valve against the seat in the head.

This "breaks" the initial grip of the collets that has been there since the engine was built, and makes it a lot easier to compress the spring.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   What do you mean by a "Corkscrew" spring compressor?   I only use a proper Valve Spring Compressor when doing heads.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

curly

I place a large socket over the spring retainer and strike it with a dead blow or brass mallet. As Bruce mentioned, this helps loosen the retainers. Then, when I compress the spring the retainers either fall out or I nudge them a little with a pocket screwdriver.

T Lewis

Ken Perry

If your head is off the car then put a balled up rag under the valves,lay it face down on a bench and take a 11/16 deep socket and put that on the retainer then hit it nice and square with a hammer.Most of the time the retaners pop clear off.If its still on the car put rope in the cylander and bring the piston up to hold the valves and just tap the retainer with the socket on it then use your spring compressor.Make sure to grab low on the spring or you will not get the keepers out. I like to run umbrela seals with the little o rings.Hope this helps. Ken Perry 
Cadillac Ken

Dave Shepherd

Another reason to have a shop manual. Assuming the head is off a dedicated valve spring compressor is the way to go, as suggested a lite tap with a brass hammer to the side of the retainer or the socket method will free up the keepers, the proper compressor can be had for under 100 dollars and will last just about forever.

Dan LeBlanc

I do have a shop manual. ;)

That's what it took was a little blow to break it free. Compressed it again with the compressor and came right out.  Glad I did it as the o-rings are hard and brittle but miraculously the valves have minimal carbon on them. They should clean up nicely.

Attached is the compressor I'm using.

Dan LeBlanc

Dave Shepherd

This is the only way head on, but a real compressor is the way to go. check this link. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4572/media/images

Dan LeBlanc

I would've loved to find an original like the one pictured in the shop manual, but seeing as how this how this is likely the last 390 I do I figured I might as well use what I have on hand.
Dan LeBlanc