News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

lowering 71 -78 eldorado

Started by dpass, April 28, 2013, 07:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpass

whats a good way to lower these FWD from 71 to 78?

TJ Hopland

Back is easy since air ride was standard on Eldorados so unless someone replaced the rear springs with regular ones just let the air out of the shocks and it will drop several inches.  Front is torsion bars almost identical to the IFS setup on Chev trucks starting in the later 80's.  There is an adjustment bolt just like the trucks but after that you would have to see if maybe you would get lucky and the aftermarket 'keys' for the trucks happen to fit. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is a lot of adjustment available with the front torsion bars.

Lowered right down to the lowest level at the front looks like mine before she went into the container.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Dave Shepherd

Lowering the ft in partiuclar will adversely alter the alignment.

Glen

Quote from: Eric S. Maypother #15104 on April 29, 2013, 12:40:12 AM
why?

So that you can scrape the frame on speed bumps and the top of ramps in parking garages, drive diagonally across dips in the road and the best fun is scraping the back bumper off when starting up ramps in the parking garages.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I've owned a '73 Eldorado since I bought it new in 1973.  I would highly recommend
NOT doing this.  I have a "hump" on my driveway curb and it's not severe, but I have to
drive slowly over it or it almost scrapes the frame under the front bumper.  Why screw
up something that works well just to make it look "cool"?  The car was not designed
for that.

Just my 2 cents.................

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

After my reply I should have added this line:

Welcome to the CLC board.   The Cadillac LaSalle Club members and members of this board (which are often CLC members) tend to be about originality and the occasional safety or reliability modification to their cars.  If your interest is in modifications to your 'new' car you may find more like minded people over at the Modified Chapter's board.  There are many people that are members of both boards.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason