News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 speedo acting crazy

Started by VooDoo, April 28, 2013, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDoo

My speedo seems to work alright up to about 30mph but then it starts bouncing all over the place once I get it going faster. Sometimes it pegs out. Is it something like the needle needs to be tightened? I which I had that thing going 100 mph but i don't ;)  Thanks
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

steve340

Take your speedometer cable out and lube it. Otherwise you could break off your speedometer needle (like I did).

Richardonly

Andy,

Steve pretty much summed it up.  It either needs lube or the inside cable may be frayed, and may need to  be replaced.

Myself, I would start by disconnecting at the uppermost part of the cable, near the speedometer, and shoot, spray or dribble some LIGHT oil down, rather than removing the inner cable itself.

Perhaps others may have other proven ways of lubing the cable or other ideas as to what may be causing this. ( A bad speedometer?)  But I would try the easy way 1st, of course.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

VooDoo

Drove it today and sure enough the needle broke. I'll try those messing with the cable. anyone know where to get a new needle? ???
Andy Fulenwider

Martin Michaels

Andy they make a fitting that screws on to the speed odometer cable it has a zirk fitting on it when on put your grease gun on give it 4 or 5 pumps then hook back up. The rotating cable will pull the grease down to lube it all. Andy are you sure the needle broke off? Disconect the cable, pull the inner flexible wire out and see if the end broke off if so Nappa auto has a replacement end. The new end goes on the cable it comes with a die you put on the new end give it a solid hit with a hammer it is all set to replace. Marty

Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

VooDoo

It was the actual needle you see that passes over the numbers that broke in half. any source for one of those
Andy Fulenwider

35-709

Get in touch with ---

Instrument Services, Inc.                                Instrument, clock, gauge restoration
11765 Main Street
Roscoe, IL 61073
http://clocksandgauges.com/

They did all of the gauges on my '35 Cadillac and are absolutely first rate, they can repair/rebuild your speedo.  As mentioned, be sure to also remove your speedo cable from its housing (pull it out from the speedo connection end), check it for fraying, and if OK lube the entire length by hand with white lube.  I imagine Instrument Services can also supply you with a new cable if needed, if not you can PM me for other sources.     

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2